Notifications
Clear all

Reopening

Topic starter
Eminent Member

The news about Olallie is encouraging.

The Forest Service, ODOT & PGE are scheduled to present at an Estacada City Council workshop this evening at 6:00. You can watch via Zoom or wait for the replay on YouTube.

Zoom Info: https://www.cityofestacada.org/bc-citycouncil/page/city-council-workshop-virtual-8

Admin

PStrobel said
The news about Olallie is encouraging.

The Forest Service, ODOT & PGE are scheduled to present at an Estacada City Council workshop this evening at 6:00. You can watch via Zoom or wait for the replay on YouTube.

Zoom Info: https://www.cityofestacada.org/bc-citycouncil/page/city-council-workshop-virtual-8   

I watched this last night and I have to say it was very depressing.  It certainly does sound like the north end of the 46 road will not reopen at all in 2021, which means a very short hiking season for almost all the trails in the Clackamas district AND a VERY, VERY long detour to get to anything.

I wish there would be an "at your own risk" type of opening, but they seem intent on not allowing ANY access to ANY area until they deem it as safe as the local Fred Meyer.

I really didn't hear ANY good news at all......

If you were able to get the presentation from the USFS, it would be great if you could upload it.  There were some interesting photos in there that I had not seen before.

Kirk
Found this on FB this morning:

Oregon Department of Transportation

is continuing work on State Hwy 224 to assess hazard trees killed or weakened by the Riverside Fire. They estimate the highway will re-open to Ripplebrook in mid-summer.

How do they make those assessments? Certified arborists follow FEMA criteria & Forest Service guidelines to determine if a tree is a “hazard tree.” Hazard trees are dead or dying trees that will present an eminent threat to the traveling public within a five year time-frame.
Meet one of the arborists in the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xY3UmDMZKo
Topic starter
Eminent Member

I sat in on a meeting with ODOT, Forest Service, PGE, Clackamas Co Tourism, Mt Hood Tourism, and several river outfitters. The meeting was recorded by the city and should be on YouTube soon. 

Key Points:

1. ODOT says they do not plan to open the highway this year. When pressed on that, they conceded and said at least not through the summer.

2. ODOT agreed to consider 'sequencing' - working on the part of the river up to some of the popular spots for rafters/kayakers to put in. They said they hope to get back to us in about two weeks.

3. The Forest Service has a priority of opening areas not in the 'burn perimeter'. Areas include La Dee Flats and Timothy Lake. No solid timeframe given. But they did site that the current closure ends on May 27. 

Lots of pushback from the whitewater folks. Several have been up there doing some work for PGE. They pointed out that trees have already been cleared up to the Moore Creek/ Hole in the Wall areas. And pointing out that the Forest Service and ODOT did not shut things down this tightly after Pit 36.

ODOT said they would review and get back to us. The Forest Service said they understand the impact to our community and businesses and are making every effort to open safely.

Page 2 / 7