Notifications
Clear all

Reopening

Admin

Thank you for the update.

Every time I hear an update it gets worse and worse.  First it was spring, then it was spring to summer, then it was mid summer and now it is fall or maybe not at all until next year?  They opened up highway 22 in a few weeks!  We are now at 7 months of closure for 224.

Even though I disagree with keeping the burn perimeter closed indefinitely, keeping 46 closed past Ripplebrook closes a HUGE number of trails, including all of BOTW which just seems incredibly wrong to me.  The Forest Service wants to make it "safe", which it isn't.  It never has been, and trying to say it is "safe" is just wrong.  There is inherent danger in heading out into the woods, even before the burn, and you can't mitigate that no matter how hard you try.

I will be interesting to hear the discussions - please post the YouTube link when it is available.

[post moved to "Photos and videos" thread]

Admin

Well, ODOT may have made up their mind - this article came out yesterday:

https://www.oregonlive.com/clackamascounty/2021/04/incredibly-popular-stretch-of-oregon-river-wont-reopen-this-summer-after-wildfire-damage.html

Our own Pete Giordano said it very well:

“Their standard of safety is excessive,” he said. “It’s like they’re trying to make it perfect by removing every possible hazard tree. But that road has never been perfect. There has always been issues like rocks on that highway and that was just part of the deal when you drove up there. You were prepared for it and accepted it.”

I don't know what else can be done - it's like someone REALLY doesn't want anyone up there and doesn't care about the economic damage it is causing to a variety of folks.

Now they aren't committing to any timeline and it "may" reopen in the fall.  I won't hold my breath.

Topic starter
Eminent Member

On May 12, I had the opportunity to go upriver and survey the scene. I went with Pete Giordano, a couple other rafting guides, and senator Bill Kennemer. We've all been pretty vocal about the need to open things up. We met with representatives of the Forest Service and ODOT. We had stops at the Memaloose weigh station, Moore Creek, and Hole in the Wall.

Key Takeaways:

* We all felt it looked better than we were expecting. It was still devastating seeing the vast amount of burnt trees. But some trees survived and the forest floor was filling in fast giving us a fair amount of hope.

* Animals (& bugs) are returning. Some habitats of the spotted owl & peregrine falcons survived & are populated. Bear, bobcat, cougar, deer, and a herd of elk have all been seen.  

* The spotted owl and falcon habitats have slowed down progress - no work can be done in the nesting areas during nesting season.

* They're still NOT planning to open 224 this summer. Despite our best efforts to encourage at least a partial opening.

* Trails and side roads will NOT open this year. They are in the process of barricading forest roads and putting up warning signs.

* La Dee Flats may open sometime in July.

* Though they cited trees falling as an ongoing concern, they said the biggest concern is the slides. One large area just before Hole in the Wall is nothing but dirt - no trees, no rocks, no green. It must have been a massive slide. They were taking down a huge section of the fencing (netting?) that keeps the rocks back so that they could do more rock face repair and tree removal.

That sums up my main points. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

I'll post a few pictures in the picture section.

Admin

PStrobel said
On May 12, I had the opportunity to go upriver and survey the scene. I went with Pete Giordano, a couple other rafting guides, and senator Bill Kennemer. We've all been pretty vocal about the need to open things up. We met with representatives of the Forest Service and ODOT. We had stops at the Memaloose weigh station, Moore Creek, and Hole in the Wall.

Key Takeaways:

* We all felt it looked better than we were expecting. It was still devastating seeing the vast amount of burnt trees. But some trees survived and the forest floor was filling in fast giving us a fair amount of hope.

* Animals (& bugs) are returning. Some habitats of the spotted owl & peregrine falcons survived & are populated. Bear, bobcat, cougar, deer, and a herd of elk have all been seen.  

* The spotted owl and falcon habitats have slowed down progress - no work can be done in the nesting areas during nesting season.

* They're still NOT planning to open 224 this summer. Despite our best efforts to encourage at least a partial opening.

* Trails and side roads will NOT open this year. They are in the process of barricading forest roads and putting up warning signs.

* La Dee Flats may open sometime in July.

* Though they cited trees falling as an ongoing concern, they said the biggest concern is the slides. One large area just before Hole in the Wall is nothing but dirt - no trees, no rocks, no green. It must have been a massive slide. They were taking down a huge section of the fencing (netting?) that keeps the rocks back so that they could do more rock face repair and tree removal.

That sums up my main points. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to help if I can.

I'll post a few pictures in the picture section.  

Thanks for the report and the pictures.  I'm very disappointed but not surprised.

When you said 224 will not reopen this summer is there still hope for it reopening in the fall?  Or are they going to keep it closed all of 2021 and into 2022?

Barricading the roads is ridiculous honestly.  I don't know how falling trees are any different than any other time of the year.  Trees fall over roads every winter and even in the summer during windstorms trees can fall.  They can't magically eliminate the risk of driving in the forest.

Have you heard any reports of re-opening the 45 road from Hillockburn?  I'm guessing that will be closed longer than 224 the way the Forest Service is taking its time.

I saw on the Olallie Lake resort website they have delayed their opening from July 2nd to July 15th but are still planning to open this season.  I'm curious how people will be able to get there?

Page 3 / 7