Notifications
Clear all

Surprise Lake

Topic starter

Me and my hiking partners are looking for a way to hike in. We heard there is a trail but we are not able to find it. We are 66 y/o  60 y/o and 40 y/o I do not want to go cross country as we are not fit that way but I can not find the trail we were told was there. We met a man named Eric who volunteered who told us it was there but we can not find it. Do you know of any way or can someone show us

53 Replies
Admin
Topic starter

We met a man named Eric who wore a shirt with westside FS patch on it. He said he volunteers and he knew of a trail but we could not find it so we were trying to find him again. But my friend John is going in alone cross country from the leftside of Skookum lake road over to the old 54 road across from it. He is so determined to get in there. I could not make it. We were hoping there was some trail along the ridge that might connect to the road if we do find a way we will mark it VERY WELL.

Admin

Interesting - I did find one trail on the 1937 Metsker map that goes from Bracket Mountain and hits the NW corner of Surprise Lake.  Those maps have very little detail, but it looks like the old 5440 -025 spur might have replaced at least part of the trail.

I can guarantee you that even if you were able to find the trail, it would be difficult to follow - if it only showed up on one map from 76 years ago, it probably wasn't built very well, and it has had no maintenance so it will be very vague.  If you or your friends do find it, please post your findings here.

I did go to Surprise Lake about a month ago, however it was a very difficult trip, mostly cross country.  We planned on about 5 miles, but it ended up to be more like 7, with dense undergrowth making the trip difficult.  As I said, many people would like to find a relatively easy way to Surprise Lake.  Thus far, I know of none.

38-Surprise-Lake.jpgThe '38 shows a partial 'way trail' to the mountain to the west of Surprise Lake. Never been there. Rob and Kirk were out there just recently, but didn't have good results from what I heard.

Don

Not sure of any other maps, but here is the '38:

Page 1 / 11