Three Lynx Trail 4/...

Notifications
Clear all

Three Lynx Trail 4/10/15

Topic starter

Friday dawned a relatively nice day, so me and the wife headed up the Clackamas to shoot some waterfall pics. Originally we were to start at Lynn Falls near Harriet, but I decided my pic was satisfactory of it. I chose to check out the site of the former school in Three Lynx first. 

I didn't take any pics, but it is just a grassy flat spot now, kinda disheartening, but time stops for nothing.

From there we made our way up to Three Lynx Falls.

Three_Lynx_side_small.jpg

Three_Lynx_warm_small.jpg

There's no trail to the falls, and I believe the town receives its drinking water from the creek. 

We made our way through the woods back to the truck, and headed for the road/old rr grade out of Three Lynx. Our goal was another waterfall.

We parked at the second switchback out of town, and headed up the hill. That's where things got interesting! We weren't very far up the hill, when we came across a grade. After walking it back and forth, I determined it wasn't just a game trail. It was too wide and evenly graded.

Here's some pics:

Three_Lynx1.jpgThree_Lynx2.jpgThree_Lynx3.jpgThree_Lynx4.jpgThree_Lynx5.jpgThree_Lynx6.jpgThree_Lynx7.jpgThree_Lynx8.jpgThree_Lynx9.jpg

Maps:

This trail I assume is the lower of the two trails, anyone know about the ditch that ran from the river to Three Lynx Creek, pre-pipeline? I may need to head further up the hill to investigate. 

Trail-1.jpgtrail2-1.jpgtrail3-1.jpg

I followed it for a ways, until I could see the town, then I broke off the tread and headed to the waterfall. The trail was very easy to follow. Getting to the waterfall though ended up being a major workout. The wife was a good sport about it. 

The other/upper waterfall

Upper3Lynx.jpg

After getting the photo, we headed down to the truck. We made a straight-line to it over and down the ridge. 

On the way down, we ran across the grade again further up the canyon, It was very easy to spot, the bench being two feet wide.

Three_Lynx_opener-1.jpg

Anyone ever follow this trail? It would be fun to, as its very open woods, and the tread is easy to follow the whole way.

GPS track, the solo blue marker is where we hit the tread on the return trip. 

3lynx_trail.jpg

Thanks for looking.

3 Replies
Admin

Nice find, Brian!

I had not heard about this trail before - I had seen it on maps, but assumed it had been obliterated by building in Three Lynx.  Would be interesting to see how far it goes.

Admin

I think there is another falls. At least that doesn't look as big as I recall the one at the end of the "ditch". Which is in a chasm and harder to see full on.

The ditch grade will appear to end. But there is actually a short grade. Then it is level again to a precipitous overlook at the top of the falls. It has been along time since I was there. 

D 2

Topic starter

Interesting. I'll have to make a return trip to the area and follow this trail up as far as I can, and then follow the ditch to the creek.