Sounds of Two River...

Notifications
Clear all

Sounds of Two Rivers Trail

Admin
Topic starter

Well, this forum has been here for a while, and no one has posted any trails to it.  I'm going to be brave and post the first trail, however I don't think it is any big secret to anyone who spends much time in the district.  The trail is informally called "Sounds of Two Rivers" trail, since you hear both the Clackamas and Roaring River on it.  The trailhead is about a half mile west of the Roaring River campground.  It is off the road under some powerlines.  If you go to the west end of that clearing, you'll see a place to park:

P1190088.jpg

If you go into the trees where indicated, you will see a trail that takes off up the hill.  It is very apparent and pretty easy to follow until you get up the hill a ways.  There are a few sections that get a little faint, but for the most part the trail is very easy to follow.  It continues up the hill to the end at the 4611-020 spur road.  Here is a map of the trail:

SoundsTrailMap.jpg

I'm sure other members here can add more details about this trail.  The trail is about 2.3 miles total (one way).  It makes a nice round trip hike in the wintertime.  It gains almost 2000' of elevation if you take it all the way to the top.

8 Replies
 Kirk

I've heard this trail can be used to make a nice loop down to the Roaring River and then come back down to the Clackamas on the south side of the Roaring on the Dry Ridge Trail. Wink

Kirk

Hiking the "Sounds of Two Rivers" is a great trail, especially in the winter months when we can't reach the higher trails. With the trailhead at a 1000', it is usually acessable almost all winter long.

The loop trail mentioned is another story. I heard that it was more of a "death march" to someone close on this site. Someone's pleasure is another one's nightmare. We just hope you live to tell about it. I wouldn't hike that loop route they mention unless my live, my family, or my hiking  partner life depended upon it.

Don

I take that back, the loop route would be a death march only if you have to do it in a day. Spend the night at Huxley Lake or the Roaring River and make a 2 day adventure out of it. Come on, slow down, smell the flowers, and enjoy the trip. We only get one try at this.

Don

Don you're hilarious!  

Hey the old maps show the trail starting at a different place.  Did the powerlines wipe out this original beginning?

Page 1 / 2