Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_TopicIcon
What trail am I on - Part 3
Doug Firman
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/11/2010 - 9:47 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 236
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Doug, is that the Rimrock trail looking out at the road at the west trail head?


 

It's the Rimrock Trail, all right, but it's the other end, just as it begins its descent down to Road 5830 and the Cottonwood Meadows trail.  The trail is heading in a northeasterly direction at the point where the picture was taken.

Rob Williams
Admin
03/11/2010 - 9:54 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1377
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Doug Firman said:

It's the Rimrock Trail, all right, but it's the other end, just as it begins its descent down to Road 5830 and the Cottonwood Meadows trail.  The trail is heading in a northeasterly direction at the point where the picture was taken.


 

That is right before that really open area at the top of the hill, isn't it?  Now I recognize it!

Rob Williams
Admin
03/18/2010 - 5:02 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1377
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan, I think it is your turn to post a photo (if you have any).  If anyone has a photo left of a ditrict trail, feel free to post it.....

Donovan
Admin
03/18/2010 - 9:16 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Here you go. What Trail am I on?

 

Donovan

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/19/2010 - 6:15 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Here you go. What Trail am I on?

 

Donovan


 

Is that the view of Mt Jefferson from Ruddy Hill?

Rob Williams
Admin
03/19/2010 - 9:51 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1377
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm thinking Double Peaks.

Donovan
Admin
03/20/2010 - 9:20 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That's right. Most uncomfortable peak in the District.

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/21/2010 - 4:33 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

That's right. Most uncomfortable peak in the District.


 

So which was it, Ruddy Hill or Double Peaks, I couldn't tell from you answer? I hadn't been to either one so I was just guessing.

Donovan
Admin
03/22/2010 - 8:20 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Sorry about that. I find this format hard to visually separate the posts.

Double Peaks. Ruddy is comfortable as it's blanketed in soft cinder.

 

Speaking of which, some of you adventurers might enjoy North Pinhead.

 

Donovan

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/22/2010 - 9:39 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Sorry about that. I find this format hard to visually separate the posts.

Double Peaks. Ruddy is comfortable as it's blanketed in soft cinder.

 

Speaking of which, some of you adventurers might enjoy North Pinhead.

 

Donovan


 

I see that the North Pinhead Butte had a lookout on it according to the '38 map. Is there anything else as far as history or geology that would interest someone? I take it you have hiked around the butte at some point in your earlier days of exploration.

Don

Donovan
Admin
03/23/2010 - 9:23 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donald Presley said:

Donovan said:

Sorry about that. I find this format hard to visually separate the posts.

Double Peaks. Ruddy is comfortable as it's blanketed in soft cinder.

 

Speaking of which, some of you adventurers might enjoy North Pinhead.

 

Donovan


 

I see that the North Pinhead Butte had a lookout on it according to the '38 map. Is there anything else as far as history or geology that would interest someone? I take it you have hiked around the butte at some point in your earlier days of exploration.

Don


 

Yes.

Donovan

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/24/2010 - 9:03 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Speaking of which, some of you adventurers might enjoy North Pinhead.

 

Donovan


 
I see that the North Pinhead Butte had a lookout on it according to the '38 map. Is there anything else as far as history or geology that would interest someone? I take it you have hiked around the butte at some point in your earlier days of exploration.

Don


 
Yes.

Donovan


 You care to elaborate just a little, or must we go to said place and find out for ourselves?

Donovan
Admin
03/25/2010 - 9:00 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donald Presley said:

Donovan said:

Speaking of which, some of you adventurers might enjoy North Pinhead.

 

Donovan


I see that the North Pinhead Butte had a lookout on it according to the '38 map. Is there anything else as far as history or geology that would interest someone? I take it you have hiked around the butte at some point in your earlier days of exploration.
 

Don


Yes.
 

Donovan


You care to elaborate just a little, or must we go to said place and find out for ourselves?
 


 

If I elaborate, it wouldn't seem interesting. If I don't elaborate it will seem more interesting.

Tom Kloster
Trail Friend
Members
03/28/2010 - 6:28 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I've been following these, but haven't had a clue on most of them. Here's one that might stump you veterans of the Clackamas... but I doubt it! This is taken from an unmarked trail junction...

Mystery Trail

Donovan
Admin
03/28/2010 - 10:39 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That kinda looks like the trail we fixed dropping into Squaw Lakes off 502 between Squaw Mtn and Twin Springs.

Donovan

Tom Kloster
Trail Friend
Members
03/29/2010 - 8:08 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

That's it, alright. But from a few years ago (maybe 2004 or 2005?) I didn't realize that you'd maintained it -- what does it connect to? I didn't realize it had been a formal part of the system.

 

Tom

Donovan
Admin
03/30/2010 - 9:18 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

It goes down to the lakes and meadows. The bottom was private property. It was, I think, a muskrat ranch. I also think the saddle at the junction is an old camp.

Put up another picture for us.

 

Donovan

Robert Koscik
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/30/2010 - 10:43 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 314
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I noticed the private block on an old map...A muskrat ranch... man people will do anything for a buck!  And way out there too.

Tom Kloster
Trail Friend
Members
03/30/2010 - 7:42 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A muskrat ranch..? Still wrapping my head around that! I do remember cattle grazing clear up into the 1980s, and then I think the Nature Conservancy (or similar organization) bought up the inholding. New maps no longer show the inholding, so I suppose that means the lakes have since been turned over to the USFS?

Okay, here's another -- I doubt a hint is needed, but this is a trailhead scene:

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
03/30/2010 - 8:10 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Tom that looks like the start of the Rimrock Trail coming out of Cottonwood Meadows.

No permission to create posts
Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Most Users Ever Online: 114

Currently Online:
3 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 281

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 8

Topics: 438

Posts: 5072

Newest Members:

Tom

Administrators: Admin: 14, Donovan: 714, Rob Williams: 1377