Please consider registering
guest

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —




— Match —





— Forum Options —





Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_TopicIcon
What trail am I on?
Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/17/2009 - 11:25 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Is it the Shining Lake Trail 510?

Rob Williams
Admin
12/18/2009 - 12:45 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donald Presley said:Is it the Shining Lake Trail 510?


Bingo!  It was taken on the old road (which is now the trail) along Indian Ridge.  There are quite a few places that offer good views on that trail.  I believe this is looking in the general direction Donovan was thinking.  My daughter and I backpacked into Shining Lake a few years ago.

Your turn....Anyone else want to play?  It is really a lot of fun!

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 1:06 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

This is little used trail that went to a lookout. The picture is taken from a side trail that goes to a lake below the the old lookout site. It is a current district trail.

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 1:40 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Since nobody guessed which trail that I originally posted. Or I should say that those who have been on this trail with me have kept their mouths shut in hopes that others would post about the trail. I give you a final view, which is a composte of two photos that I merged into one. You are looking  into the upper Roaring River canyon from the Cougar CreekTrail with the Signal Buttes to the right above Cougar Creek.

Rob Williams
Admin
12/18/2009 - 11:57 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donald Presley said:Since nobody guessed which trail that I originally posted. Or I should say that those who have been on this trail with me have kept their mouths shut in hopes that others would post about the trail. I give you a final view, which is a composte of two photos that I merged into one. You are looking  into the upper Roaring River canyon from the Cougar CreekTrail with the Signal Buttes to the right above Cougar Creek.


Very nice picture Don!  It certainly is a beautiful view from that trail, even though we couldn't see much the day I went there with you.....Next year I'd like to take the Signal Butte side....

Doug Firman
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 2:27 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 234
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donald Presley said:This is little used trail that went to a lookout. The picture is taken from a side trail that goes to a lake below the the old lookout site. It is a current district trail.


I'm guessing the Fish Creek Mtn trail, and the lake is High Lake.

Donald Presley
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 8:20 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 842
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Doug you are correct. The Fish Creek Mtn trail was busy everytime I was on this year. It's popularity seems to be increasing with time. Your turn to post a picture.

Doug Firman
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 10:01 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 234
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

A long trail.  This is a view from the trail, not far from a lookout site that is easily accessible from this trail.

Donovan
Admin
12/18/2009 - 10:41 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Doug Firman said:

A long trail.  This is a view from the trail, not far from a lookout site that is easily accessible from this trail.


I believe you are on Rho Ridge Trail near Mt Lowe looking over Burnt Granite towards Mt Hood?

Doug Firman
Member
Members

Trail Maintenance
12/18/2009 - 11:11 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 234
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

You're right, Donovan.

Donovan
Admin
12/19/2009 - 11:18 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ok. Here's my new quiz picture. Looking up drainage from this seldom used wilderness trail.

Donovan

Rob Williams
Admin
12/19/2009 - 12:54 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Ok. Here's my new quiz picture. Looking up drainage from this seldom used wilderness trail.

Donovan


Is it in a "new" wilderness area or an old wilderness area?

Donovan
Admin
12/19/2009 - 5:40 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rob Williams said:

Donovan said:

Ok. Here's my new quiz picture. Looking up drainage from this seldom used wilderness trail.

Donovan


Is it in a "new" wilderness area or an old wilderness area?


Can't say. But, study the distant saddle, center frame. The ridge up the left - a magnetic anomaly famous here.

Rob Williams
Admin
12/19/2009 - 6:47 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Can't say. But, study the distant saddle, center frame. The ridge up the left - a magnetic anomaly famous here.


OK, I'm guessing a bit here - Is it Looking up the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas from the Rimrock trail?  I'm not sure if that is a new wilderness trail or not.

Donovan
Admin
12/19/2009 - 8:16 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rob Williams said:

Donovan said:

Can't say. But, study the distant saddle, center frame. The ridge up the left - a magnetic anomaly famous here.


OK, I'm guessing a bit here - Is it Looking up the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas from the Rimrock trail?  I'm not sure if that is a new wilderness trail or not.


No but yes. The Oak Grove has harvested units, but Rimrock is in the new zoning. And so is the mystery trail.

Another clue: there is very little old growth in the picture.

Rob Williams
Admin
12/20/2009 - 8:59 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:


No but yes. The Oak Grove has harvested units, but Rimrock is in the new zoning. And so is the mystery trail.

Another clue: there is very little old growth in the picture.


OK, I need a little more.....What direction is this picture looking?  Maybe that will help a bit.

Donovan
Admin
12/20/2009 - 11:39 am
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rob Williams said:

Donovan said:


No but yes. The Oak Grove has harvested units, but Rimrock is in the new zoning. And so is the mystery trail.

Another clue: there is very little old growth in the picture.


OK, I need a little more.....What direction is this picture looking?  Maybe that will help a bit.


Looking east.

Rob Williams
Admin
12/20/2009 - 1:49 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:


Looking east.


OK, I'm going to hazard another guess.....The Grouse Point trail looking down the South Fork of the Roaring river?

Donovan
Admin
12/20/2009 - 7:39 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 714
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Rob Williams said:

Donovan said:


Looking east.


OK, I'm going to hazard another guess.....The Grouse Point trail looking down the South Fork of the Roaring river?


Close, but no.

Rob Williams
Admin
12/21/2009 - 3:44 pm
Member Since: 09/20/2009
Forum Posts: 1376
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Donovan said:

Rob Williams said:


OK, I'm going to hazard another guess.....The Grouse Point trail looking down the South Fork of the Roaring river?


Close, but no.


OK, I'm going to need another clue......

Forum Timezone: America/Vancouver

Most Users Ever Online: 114

Currently Online:
7 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 0

Members: 281

Moderators: 0

Admins: 3

Forum Stats:

Groups: 2

Forums: 8

Topics: 438

Posts: 5064

Newest Members:

Tom

Administrators: Admin: 14, Donovan: 714, Rob Williams: 1376