Northern Rho Ridge

Notifications
Clear all

Northern Rho Ridge

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Hiked from Graham Pass to Mt Lowe this weekend. Tons of blow downs for the first couple miles. The last mile has been cleared recently - I think just one blow down. The views from Lowe were fantastic. The roads were great, too. We ended up forgoing the hike back and just walking on 4670 back. The true highlight of the day was having a bear dart in front of us on 6350 as we drove back!

5 Replies
Admin

I think the northern part of Rho Ridge and the Mt Lowe trails are both officially abandoned (at least in the Forest Service's eyes).  That is too bad because I think the northern section has the prettiest scenery.  Pretty cool you got to see a bear on the way out too!

Thanks for posting you trip.  Photos are always appreciated - I love seeing trails I haven't hiked in a while.

Thanks for sharing with us. Too bad about the blowdown. At least the skies were clear to show off the views. 

There is some newish signs put up by the FS a few years ago. One is just before you start climbing up Mt. Lowe. The trail on Rhododendron Ridge from a little north of Mt. Lowe to past Hawk Mt. was once part of the PCT.

Admin

The map on the FS website shows it starting at 6355 and heading north to Graham Pass, which I can only assume means they have abandoned it.  Wonder if those signs were part of the 2008 stimulus spending?  Those are really nice signs.

This was the route of the Skyline Trail (precursor to the PCT) in the 50's.  The map from 1952 shows the Skyline Trail going up Burnt Granite and then along Rho Ridge, but the 1961 map shows it in approximately its current location, so sometime between 1952 and 1961 it got re-routed it apperas.  It is crazy how many re-routes the skyline trail had over the years....

Page 1 / 2