Estacada and Trails...

Notifications
Clear all

Estacada and Trails End?

Topic starter

No, not that saloon...

Since Estacada was constructed in 1905 or so, were there any pre-05 trails that went to the location of the present town?  I'd imagine they were flooded by the reservoir after it was completed.  

Was "Estacada" even a destination in those days?  It seems that the Indians were heading for Fanton and Bissell to avoid the deep Clackamas canyon, but I'll bet there were trails of some sort along her banks.  I see that after homesteading much of the current MHNF closer to town was in private hands. 

Since the Estacada town site is so flat and so close to the Clackamas, I'd imagine that the Indians used it as well.

Thank you, just trying to picture how it used to be from the old North Fork GS heading downriver; so much has changed.

2 Replies
Admin

I think the Indians hung out farther down stream because at Estacada the river ran in a deep (and I suspect rather treacherous) gorge.

I am sure there were good places to trap or net fish at various places upsteam at narrows with access, etc.. But for putting in, root digging, fording and stuff, I suspect it was not Estacada.

Often the dams have been put at falls to capture head. Like at Harriet Lake.

When Lt Abbot came down out of the mountains, it was to Currins Ranch.

Don2

From a report prepared for PGE:

Other Indian villages stood near the Clackamas River at Estacada and Eagle Creek. John Wacheno, a Clackamas tribe elder, wrote in 1934 of a traditional Clackamas Indian village and summer fishing place near Estacada with 11 or 12 houses. He also mentioned a winter village on

Eagle Creek (Ellis 1997).

No mention of any trails in the area.  The report is on the PGE website:  http://www.portlandgeneral.com/community_environment/initiatives/protecting_fish/clackamas_river/docs/clackamas_river_history_full.pdf