Interesting old FS ...

Notifications
Clear all

Interesting old FS document - VacationLand - The National Forests in Oregon

Admin
Topic starter

An interesting historical document from 1919.  Gives a good insight into how things were way back then - almost 100 years ago:

http://ir.library.oregonstate.edu/xmlui/bitstream/handle/1957/10918/Vac_Lan_Nat_For_Ore.pdf

Some highlights:

• You needed 1.25 lbs of beef for every person each day
  • You needed 5.25 lbs of food per person each day
  • You needed .8 lbs of potatoes per person each day
  • You needed .5 lbs of fresh vegetables (onions, cabbage, turnips. beets, etc)
  • You needed .8 lbs of flour per person per day
  • Renting a cabin plot cost between $5 and $25/year
  • There were no fees at all for camping
  • The forest service gave advice on how to skin deer
  • The forest service had recipes for different meal

An interesting bit about  the trail from Dodge

A good trail, beginning at Dodge, a post office 9 miles north of Estacada, extends along the west boundary of this part of the Oregon National Forest and follows the high divide southward at Elk Lake and North Santiam River. The High Camp, Red House, and Skunk Cabbage Trails, which enter the Forest from towns along the Molalla, lead into this trail from the west. It passes through an area which is very rugged and scenically beautiful. One can go in a week of easy riding from Estacada by the Dodge Trail to Elk Lake and return down the Clackamas River. This trip takes in the high divide between the Clackamas and Molalla Rivers, Bagsby Hot Springs, and Battle Axe Mountain with its wonderful view of the Cascade Range panorama. Those who want to extend the trip and do not mind some rough traveling may branch off at Elk Lake, take the Old Indian Trail over the Scorpion Mountains to the summit of the Cascades, and return to Estacada by way of Clackamas Lake and Squaw Mountain

I'm sure I have missed a bunch of interesting stuff, but it is fun to see what life was like in the forest almost 100 years ago.

If you find other interesting tidbits, post them here.

1 Reply
 Kirk

They must have had the map upside down, 'cause last time I checked Dodge is south of Estacada not north.

Very interesting find Rob. Thanks for posting it.