New historical item...

Notifications
Clear all

New historical items posted

Admin
Topic starter

Thanks to some friends of the website, we have some new historical content.  I found it really interesting to read.  You can find it on the "Historical Items" menu option in the navigation menu.  Here are the items:

Notes about trips to Big Bottom in the 1940's and 50's

Notes about fishing the Upper Clackamas in the 1940's and 50's

Notes about the powerplants on the Upper Clackamas (Big Bottom was supposed to have a dam!)

Notes about the original discovery of the Cold Water Corydallis on the upper Clackamas

11 Replies

Rob Williams said:

Thanks to some friends of the website, we have some new historical content.  I found it really interesting to read.  You can find it on the "Historical Items" menu option in the navigation menu.  Here are the items:

[...]

Thanks Rob for posting these most interesting accounts, the post mentioning cabins at Pot Creek is sort of timely since a bunch of us went looking for the near-by trail this year. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Cold Water Corydallis...

--Paul

Admin
Topic starter

I can take no credit.  These were forwarded to me by Bob, but I think they are very interesting notes.  I thought the part about the planned dam at Big Bottom was especially interesting.  Glad that didn't happen, although I didn't see any reason why it was never built.

I thought I saw some mention that the Cold Water Cordyallis had disappeared from the upper Clackamas?  Or mostly gone due to all the road building?  I have to admit, I'm a pretty poor plant identifier...I try, but somehow I just have trouble with it.

Interesting reading.  Thanks for posting these, Rob. 

I wasn't aware that there had been a shelter at Toms Meadow.  I wonder if there is any evidence of it still remaining.  According to the notes, it was still in good shape in 1953, so there's a chance that there might be some sign of it left.  Has anyone seen it or know where it is likely to be located?

Happy New Year to everyone!

Admin

There was part of an iron stove top under some reprod fir between the meadow and the road a few years ago.

You can also get on the Collawash trail there. There is a log cut at the pull out. walk through there. Go down and cross the creek. Then straight through the small clearcut to the Collawash, and you will see it. The cut off to B o W drops off to cross, don't go that way, stay high.

I haven't taken it all the way out. Some one should and tell us about it. I stopped at a slide. The bench was visible on the other side.

D.

Page 1 / 3