The elusive 511 tra...

Notifications
Clear all

The elusive 511 trail has been found

Admin
Topic starter

While looking thru my photos, I ended up finding evidence on the google earth aerial photos of the tread thru one of the rockslides - the one rockslide where it was clear all the way across:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=45.158876,-121.978982&z=20&t=s

I copied the screen and added green dots showing where the tread crosses that rockslide:

SouthForkTrailGoogleAerial.jpg

Admin
Topic starter

Paul:

I took a look at your posting on PH from 2009 (almost exactly 5 years ago - wow!), and looking at your track and our track, it looks like we were on the same trajectory until about the top of that un-named creek that feeds into the south fork - I think that is just about the location of that spring (Big Blaze spring).  It looks like you headed down that creek, while we continued more or less along the contour line.

Just curious - did you see that spring with the big blaze?

Rob Williams said
Paul:

I took a look at your posting on PH from 2009 (almost exactly 5 years ago - wow!), and looking at your track and our track, it looks like we were on the same trajectory until about the top of that un-named creek that feeds into the south fork - I think that is just about the location of that spring (Big Blaze spring).  It looks like you headed down that creek, while we continued more or less along the contour line.

Just curious - did you see that spring with the big blaze?

Rob,

Yes, the upper part is easy to locate but I just lost it at that point and figured the trail would be near the creek based on the maps. I don't recall the spring with the big blaze, might look at my photos.

I'm looking forward to another visit to this place with y'all. One of the greatest finds ever.

--Paul

Great job guys. You beat me to that one! I knew that trail had to be there, just don't get out to Frazier that often these days. Cheers!

Kirk

I was really impressed by the trail where it goes through the rock fields.  The tread must be at least four feet wide.  Those trail builders literally moved hundreds of tons of rocks to build this trail.

For those of you who've read the account of the building of this trail, do you recall if it was mentioned how big of a trail construction crew they had?

Page 2 / 3