Thunder Eggs up the...

Notifications
Clear all

Thunder Eggs up the Clackamas

Topic starter
Eminent Member

OK, here's an odd one...

Local (Estacada) resident and rock hound, Ralph Branson, tells a story of a peer that would bring thunder eggs to rock collection conventions. This peer claimed to have found a deposit up the Clackamas River that has numerous thunder eggs. He kept promising to tell Ralph where the location was, but he died recently and Ralph never found where the deposit was located. All the guy would tell him was that it was within 5 minutes of Three Lynx.

Anyone ever heard of such a thing? Any ideas where it might be?  

3 Replies
Admin

Never heard of any thundereggs up the Clackamas - will be interested if you find out anything.

I was perusing the forum, and found this post. I think I can point you in the right direction, though I don't have an exact location. Thunder eggs are usually found in rhyolite lava, which is not common in the area. However, there is a road literally named "Rhyolite Quarry/Pit". It's FS 4620-200, off of FS 4620, S of Indian Henry. That is 10 minutes or so from Three Lynx. I went there once, but didn't have enough daylight to explore, then the area burned before I could get back. I'm not sure if there are eggs in the pit, or if one would need to go down the closed spur roads nearby.

Happy hunting!

Admin

That is great info - 4620 is currently gated near its start where it joins 224, so the only way to get up there is to walk or ride a bike.  It looks to be a little over 5 miles to the 4620-200 spur.  If anyone does this, I'd be interested to know what you find.