Notifications
Clear all

Clackamas FS

Topic starter

I was wondering how many trails they maintain? Are they in charge of keeping their portion of the MHNF website up dated? I understand they they may not get as much funding as the rest, so I was wondering what they do, do. Oh and the signs/markers do they take care of that? Who is it that spray paints on the pavement, things like "Bagby"?  I think that's a great idea; no one can steal it. I've been wondering about these things for awhile and thought you guys were the ones to ask. Oh one more thing where would I go to get that marking tape? Sometimes I'd just like to go explore and would like it to be easier to find my way back. Thank you.

Patti

4 Replies

Hi Patti, the FS does very little trail maintenance.  Most is done by volunteers. 

Back in the heavy logging days there was funding for a trail crew.  Ironically, sometimes trails would get logged out and lost in that era.

This year will be an exception however.  Fed stimulous cash will be going towards trail work on some of the district's most popular trails. 

Patti Winters said:

Oh one more thing where would I go to get that marking tape? Sometimes I'd just like to go explore and would like it to be easier to find my way back. Thank you.

Patti

You should be able to find fluorescent tape at sporting goods stores. A couple tips. Place the markers as far as you can see, not on every branch you pass. Going in, put them on the back side of the tree you are marking, so it will be visible on your return trip. And be sure to remove all of the markers as you follow them back out.

Or get a GPS to record your trail. And carry extra batteries. Good exploring.

Patti Winters said:

I was wondering how many trails they maintain? Are they in charge of keeping their portion of the MHNF website up dated? I understand they they may not get as much funding as the rest, so I was wondering what they do, do. Oh and the signs/markers do they take care of that? Who is it that spray paints on the pavement, things like "Bagby"?  I think that's a great idea; no one can steal it. I've been wondering about these things for awhile and thought you guys were the ones to ask. Oh one more thing where would I go to get that marking tape? Sometimes I'd just like to go explore and would like it to be easier to find my way back. Thank you.

Patti

Our district doesn't have a paid trail crew. The work is done by volunteers, with the exception of some federal money which went out on contracts for the BOTW last year and some this year as well as some of the new wilderness areas in our district this year.They have already been working on the wilderness portion of CRT in the last couple of weeks.

As far as the updates on the MHNF website for our district, that is a good question. You are probably better off to call the district office or ask on this website if you have a question about trails.

Signs are an ongoing problem. They get shot at, stolen, burnted for firewood. We try to at least get a temporary paper sign at trailheads, wooden ones are harder to come by.

Your best bet for flagging is Dick's Logging Supply next to the district office in Estacada. They seem to have the best selection and the cheapest prices I have seen anywhere.

Don

Topic starter

Thank you all, for the information! I can hardly wait to put it to use.

Patti