New FS maps in digi...

Notifications
Clear all

New FS maps in digital format coming soon!

Topic starter

Image-31.jpgI read in last Sundays Oregonian (see scan) that the FS will be making available digital maps and apps to use on cell phones early 2014. I always thought that it would be great to get a digital district map on a disc so I can just print out the section I need from my computer, enlarge sections to reveal more detail, and add details of my own choosing.

Don

6 Replies
Admin

Here is the link to the FS announcement:

http://www.fs.fed.us/news/2013/releases/11/e-maps.shtml

Unfortunately, it only works on iPhones, iPads and android devices.  No PCs.  It does sound kind of cool, though.  You would think that because the maps are PDF files it could work on a PC!

Topic starter

Yea, it's the usual story, whatever your using is obsolete, sorry, upgrade. I remember watching black and white TV, listening to the radio until I fell asleep, changing 45's and 33's on the turntable, putting in a new 8 track cassette into the dash of whatever you were driving or a cassette tape, then CD's arrived and then of course there were MP3's to deal with and now your talking to your car or your TV to tell it what to do. I know PC's are so outdated! That phone your using right now was probably outdated before you bought it, that's why it was such a good deal. Hello! When I graduated from high school I was using a slide rule, but when I went to college that same year they required that I have a scientific calculator to use in several courses. I also remember a junior year statistics class that used the college's computer via a terminal in an adjacent room that you sent DOS messages, this was pre-PC. I've come full circle, I'm obsolete!

Admin

FYI, I downloaded and installed the app last night, and after some frustrating searching, finally found the district map, however it shows up as "n/a", meaning (I'm guessing) not available.  None of the Mt Hood Forest district maps were available.  Interestingly enough, it says you can buy them on the national forest store website, but the only one listed there is the whole Mt Hood NF map.

I guess I will wait a while and see if it becomes available.  The last update of that map was 2002.  Wonder if it will ever get updated?

Unfortunately, it only works on iPhones, iPads and android devices.  No PCs.  It does sound kind of cool, though.  You would think that because the maps are PDF files it could work on a PC!  

There are no barriers to running something similar to this on a PC or Mac or Ubuntu and so on. The question is why do you need yet another app just to look at PDFs just like the ones you are already viewing on those devices?

I've been using NeoTreksGPS which, besides the maps and the blue location dot, records your tracks. Much better deal IMHO.

Bryon

Page 1 / 2