Anyone been on 517 ...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone been on 517 from 4612 this year?

Topic starter

Hey group, was wondering if anyone's been on the 517 from 4611 down to the river, and then up the other side to Grouse Point recently. My main curiosity is about the trail going uphill from the river to Grouse point. The goal is to see Perrywinkle falls, and then head up towards grouse point to the view near 518, then return.

T.I.A.

9 Replies
Admin

I was on it about 3 years ago.  My recollection was that it is pretty faint on the far side of the river - I remember we lost the trail for a while on the way up the hill.  It is pretty steep on both sides as well, but maybe things have improved in the last 3 years (I kind of doubt it - that section doesn't get much traffic).

Admin

About 8 years ago, tthe FS hired a contractor to saw out the other side from the river to Dry Ridge . About halfway up the hill, which is punishing by the way, they bypassed a switch back and followed the elk trail up the spine of the ridge instead.

From Dry Ridge to 518, the trail is little maintained and walks a Rhododendron thicket.

The good view is from the old helipad, just before the trail starts down to Cache Meadows.

There is no water beyond the spring on the way out of the river bottom. The kerosene can spring.

Let us know how it goes!

D

Topic starter

Thanks guys. Rob was this trail part of your death march with Paul you told me about? I never did get the details.

Another question, how far is it on 4611 from the end of the gravel to the beginning of the 517..? I also just realized the title of my first post is wrong..

BrianEdwards said
Thanks guys. Rob was this trail part of your death march with Paul you told me about? I never did get the details.

Another question, how far is it on 4611 from the end of the gravel to the beginning of the 517..? I also just realized the title of my first post is wrong..

Hey Brian,

Answering for Rob, yes, the 517 was our exit out the RR at the end of a long day.

I did a trip report on a hike in the area a while back and posted to Portland Hikers - there's a map at the end with my GPS track that might provide some useful info. There is a  GPX file available from the most excellent Trail Advocate's Trail Guide for the 517 entry. The TH for the #517 off the 4611 used to be signed.

At the end of this month I'm going to be going up Dry Ridge and down the 517 to do some maintenance - return on Sounds.

--Paul

Page 1 / 2