Bull of the Woods i...

Notifications
Clear all

Bull of the Woods is closed (again)

Admin
Topic starter

Apparently, a new fire started somewhere along the Mother Lode trail (at least that is what the fire is called):

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/article/2636/13098/

So, what didn't burn last year seems to be burning this year.  This looks to be really close to the fire last year.

It looks like the fire is spreading pretty rapidly, too.  Looking at the size on the 4th, 6th and the 8th, it has grown quite a bit.  There are links on that site to show the sizes on past dates (in google earth).  Pretty neat technology, but sad that it appears to be blackening more of the wilderness.

6 Replies
 Bill

I hope the lookout will be ok.  Soon we will have to call BOTW-BOTS, Bull of the Snags.  A shame to see it burn.

Bill

Kirk

I think I read somewhere that the lookout was going to get some attention to keep it from burning.

Admin
Topic starter

Sounds like the fire has died down – it hasn't spread much in the last few days due to the cooler, wetter weather.  I saw some mention of "wrapping" the lookout, but I never knew what that meant.  Saw this picture from the Dollar Lake fire that kind of explains it:

http://flic.kr/p/anYBST

Looks like they wrap it in some sort of reflective material protect it.  Not sure what good that would do if the fire was right there, but it must work (you would think), otherwise it would be a waste of money and time.

Admin
Topic starter

Well, with the warmer weather it appears the fire has flared up a bit again.  The latest reports show the fire growing by a couple hundred acres a day, but hopefully the forecast rain tomorrow will put a damper on it.  Here is a photo from Mt Lowe looking at the smoke from the fires, taken today, 9/24:

Page 1 / 2