Facility on top of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Facility on top of Whale Head?

Eminent Member

Thanks for the info on the cell towers. I'd like to try to get up there before the snow sets in.

Topic starter

Rob, all, it appears there are two spots with facilities on that same road. Which ones are you guys showing in the photos on this thread?Whalehead.jpg

Admin

Both actually.  The pictures that PStroebel posted were from the first one and the pictures I posted were of the one at the end of the road (where the cell tower is going to be).  It also has another radio repeater - that is the one that looks almost identical to the one on Squaw Mountain.  It also looks like they moved it in preparation for the cell tower.

It will be interesting to see once they get it all done.

According to USFS reports at https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53749 these projects appear to be part of an emergency radio communication system.  There's no mention of Verizon or cell phone service other than to say cell service was considered as an alternative but was rejected.  So I wonder if the worker who told Rob it was a Verizon project might have been mistaken.

Admin

Wow - that is interesting.  It also says in addition to Memaloose and Whalehead they are putting one up on Oak Grove Butte (there is already a passive repeater up there).

It did kind of read like the same project.  That is quite a project though - there was a table in there saying they are doing about 16 miles of electric conduit for the Whalehead tower 5 miles for the Memaloose tower and about 7.5 miles for the Oak Grove Butte tower.  It is interesting to me that they need city power to power those things - the other towers (like are on Squaw mountain and the existing one on Whalehead) appear to be powered by solar.  It sure looks like an expensive project.

Will be interested to see what it looks like when it is done.  I wonder if it will get done this year or not.

Page 4 / 5