Fire up the Clackam...

Notifications
Clear all

Fire up the Clackamas

Let her rain! Does anyone know where they stop you coming down the Clackamas River if you happen to go over Hwy 26 to go around the closure area?

Admin
Topic starter

Donald Presley said
Let her rain! Does anyone know where they stop you coming down the Clackamas River if you happen to go over Hwy 26 to go around the closure area?

I have not driven up that far, but the signs say it is closed from MP 31 to 38 I believe.  If you drove around that way you could conceivably get to just about every trail in the district - it would just be a LONG drive.

The closure gate was right at the Silver Fox RV park driveway a few weeks ago.

Two maps I've looked at show the eastern end of the closure in different spots. The Oregonian shows it just east of Lazy Bend at the 36 mile Pit, where the fire started. The Mt Hood NF map shows it being closed at Fish Creek Rd. This one makes sense, as the eastern edge of the fire was Carter Bridge campground. 

I'd hazard a guess based on data, Silver Fox to Fish Creek. 

Haven't seen a lot of pics so I posted some here:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/104652814614460371328/albums/6095705052629640657

taken 2 days ago. I drove up 46 to the turnoff to 4611 to the trailheads so up a couple miles past the 4610-4611 split. There were no signs about any closures and very little evidence of fire damage or logging. Main patch of fire damage is about mile 5-5.5 on 46. Actually the thinning up there in that section looks pretty good, IMHO. The road is in really good shape in regards to potholes, etc. and didn't see hardly anyone up there including no ATVs. Kinda strange.

There are definitely some total burn areas but I was happy to also see a lot of green in the canopy and the fire areas I saw were very patchy which is a good sign. I think the cliff I ended up above is actually right above MP36 where the fire started. Probably wouldn't be happy I was there but still a looong way away from anywhere. I think there was some blasting going on although it wasn't what I expected so not sure exactly. Maybe some smaller charges or something? No real signs on 224 of work traffic except a couple odot vehicles.

Thanks for the photos, Pete. 

Page 20 / 26