Hambone Trail

Notifications
Clear all

Hambone Trail

Topic starter

Slightly out of district but this has been a topic here in the past. Yesterday I tried locating more segments of the Hambone Trail - I was very pleased to find flagged trail from the saddle of Hambone Butte down to Iron Creek - XYZ, this your work? There is a report in the archives from the old incarnation of Trail Advocates describing the work done for this segment but no name attached. Whoever did this, thanks a heap, your efforts are appreciated. I was not able to locate much but rhodies going west from Iron Creek, Found blaze on the ridge, lost it for a bit but managed to find stuff lower down. Great day, complete trip report at Portland Hikers:

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13114

Hambone Springs is a lovely campsite, clean, neat, tidy - absolutely no one was there besides me. I found this surprising in that every other place on the way looked full.

--Paul

3 Replies

IMG_3455.jpgOn occasion, some of us have wondered across district boundaries when it suited our needs or desires.

I was on that Iron Creek  or Hambone trail last month down to the creek, easy going down, but a killer climbing back out of there. Almost reminded me of the Cougar Creek Trail, but it wasn't a 2000 ft climb, maybe a 500-700 ft climb out of there. It must have been the heat, but the vision of a cold beer back at camp kept me going.

Don

Admin

Amusing how we all take the same picture.

There is a trail over there that starts up that ridge. Vanishes once reaching the first flat. It's interesting country and seldom seen vistas.

Anomaly Mountain.

D

I have been working on that trail since '06.  So far I have located and cleared it to the creek jcts. below the saddle, about 1.5 miles.  Every year we camp about a week and work/explore.  Usually my daughter joins me, which is pretty cool considering she's only 8. We did quite a bit of work this year too, in August.  It was totally overgrown in the beginning, nice to see that it's a trail again, at least for a short section.

Hopefully it will remain a quiet place.  I worry that the internet makes it too easy for places to get overrun.  But the hellish road in keeps numbers down I'm sure.