Hillockburn Trail/C...

Notifications
Clear all

Hillockburn Trail/Current conditions

Admin
Topic starter

I went down the Hillockburn trail yesterday - what a BEAUTIFUL day it was.  The sad part is that shooters have again wrecked the start of the trail.  The parking area was relatively clean, but now shooters are again shooting down the road at the beginning of the trail.  They have destroyed 3 trees (by shooting them enough that they have fallen) - one very recently as the limbs are all still green.  See photos:

Hillockburn2.jpgHillockburn3.jpgHillockburn4.jpgHillockburn1.jpg

The hike was a pretty quick one so I decided to drive up the 45 road to see how far I could get.  The 45 road continues to deteriorate - the potholes get bigger and deeper.  I drove up the 4540 road a bit - about 3/4 of a mile before Helen Lake (about 3600') before I turned around in 6"+ snow - but it is melting quickly.

After that, I drove back down and continued up the 45 road which was snow free for quite a ways.  I thought I might actually make it up to Memaloose trailhead, but I ended up turning around about a mile and a half or so from the trailhead - it was still a double track, but the snow was getting deeper and since I was by myself I didn't want to get stuck so I turned around.  That was around 3800'.

There is still a fair amount of snow above 3500', but this warm weather we are having is melting it quickly.  Hopefully won't be too long (before the end of April?) before some of the lower trailheads are accessible again.

1 Reply

Nice trip Rob. I neglect that trail more than I should. I still think finding and brushing the trail up the other side to be a worthy project. Even if it does just end at the civiculture fence.