North Half Rho Ridg...

Notifications
Clear all

North Half Rho Ridge

Admin

I don't think there was a cabin there. Not in '34 at least.

This view is South to NorthNorthwest, I think.

Usually, when there is a cabin, the panorama camera is set up on top of it.

Looks like the trail in swinging around from the right.

There is a distinct blaze at the lookout trail off 595, but it is rather instantly lost in a tumble. Some interesting areas arould there.

I have been reluctant to look around too much up there cuz that's where the pair of cougars harrassed my wife and I.

D.

Admin

Going up to the top was quite an exercise.  We found several blazes, but nothing that really looked like a trail.  There was a LOT of blowdown up there.  So much so that we decided to come straight back down the hill rather than come back the way we came.  It was a little steeper, but it cut off a lot of distance and it wasn't any tougher than navigating all the blowdown.

If that trail really is coming around from that side, maybe that is the trail that we saw referenced on some maps.  It was on the north side of the mountain....But maybe not.

Hiked the northern end of Rho Ridge on the spur of the moment this afternoon, hoping to get a good look at Granite Peaks across the valley. This section looked recently logged out -- courtesy of the Trail Advocates?

Northern Rho Ridge Trail

Just north, in a logged area, the trail was in good shape where it approaches the dirt spur road coming off 6310 at the saddle:

Rho Ridge Trail

This turned out to be the best viewpoint for Granite Peaks -- briefly out of the clouds, before the downpour began...

Granite Peaks

Still lots to explore over on the Granite Peaks, proper -- but not this season! I think I beat the snowpack by about 24 hours.

On the way back down, I came across this nifty boulder on the grade below Burnt Granite. From a distance, it almost looks like granite, but up close, it's really a form of breccia, albeit very colorful:

Granite Peaks Breccia

Brought a chunk home for me for more definitive identification, but I'm fairly certain that the matrix material is volcanic ash, and that this represents a pyroclastic flow deposit based on the iron oxides present and the huge range in clast sizes. That would make this pyroclastic breccia, technically. So, fairly common in the Cascades, but still a cool deposit -- and perhaps the answer to the mystery behind the "Granite" that shows up in place names here?

Hopefully, I'll get up to the Granite Peaks next year, and perhaps find more of this stuff, and thus reinforcing the connection to the name.

Neat area! Looking forward to hiking the rest of Rho Ridge (southward) next time I'm up there.

(travel note: semi-spooky slump on 6310 just to the west of Granite Peaks -- requires a brief white-knuckle move to get around it, probably dangerous once the ground gets a bit more saturated).

Admin

Thanks for the report. Almost like going there!

Without the 145 mile drive.

D.

Page 2 / 2