OHV Improvements in...

Notifications
Clear all

OHV Improvements in the Dee Flat Area

Topic starter

I did a hike from the Plaza TH to the Salmon Mtn lookout on Sunday and on the way up the 4610 at the OHV area in the Dee Flat area I saw lots of improvements done by the FS to support (or contain) OHV stuff. Looks like a lot of time, effort, and of course money has been spent building up OHV trail heads and other areas. Some treatments were done I've not seen before. New signage for the 4610 and 4611 intersection. Did some interesting stuff with slash to protect sensitive areas. There was even an FS person checking on things. I wish trails in the district got this kind of attention.

IMG_8079.jpgIMG_8080.jpgIMG_8084.jpgIMG_8087.jpgIMG_8089.jpgIMG_8091.jpgIMG_8100.jpg

3 Replies
Admin

Paul Turner said
I wish trails in the district got this kind of attention.

Me too!  Even a fraction of this kind of attention would be nice.

Paul, did you hike up the road or go on some of the Plaza-Clackamas Lake trail segments still out there? The post was all about the FS overboard containment of OHV destruction, can't blame them there, but what was the hike like? The FS has to spend all their resources on crap like this, that a minority of people cause, instead of things which would benefit the majority of people, like trails. That's why the work the Trail Advocates do for free is so important these days.

Topic starter

Donald Presley said
Paul, did you hike up the road or go on some of the Plaza-Clackamas Lake trail segments still out there? The post was all about the FS overboard containment of OHV destruction, can't blame them there, but what was the hike like? The FS has to spend all their resources on crap like this, that a minority of people cause, instead of things which would benefit the majority of people, like trails. That's why the work the Trail Advocates do for free is so important these days.

Hi Don,

I parked at Twin Springs and went up the Plaza Trail to the Salmon Mtn Trail then on to the lookout. Salmon Mtn trail was OK up until the last section where it goes north around the ridge the lookout sits and that part was really overgrown. A bunch of loppering and sawing was done so it should be good for a few more years. Views were no good as smoke from the fires had filled the valleys. There is now a clear boot path to the plane wreckage site (I've never been there and don't plan to ever go).

I didn't get any lost trail looking done but it was a good day in the woods. A recovered Salmon Mtn Trail all the way down to Welches would be neat thing to have. It is doable as an adventure hike.

From Sheepshead Rock

SheepsHead.jpg

The trail just before the final switchback to the lookout was totally obscured:

SalmonMtnTrailHidden.jpg

After some mangling of rhodies and other brus:

After.jpg