River Trail invitat...

Notifications
Clear all

River Trail invitation

scurtis said
The Forest Service reduction is a factor here. We started with a FS representative from Estacada and in mid process got switched to a coordinator working out of ZigZag.  Fortunately we are a wider organization so I had already been working with the person in ZZ on Mt Hood trails.

We are not PCTA.  TrailKeepers of Oregon is a regional organization and definitely does not have deep pockets.  :-)   But the issue is that the FS wants to work with groups they have a relationship with, trust, and can do larger jobs. 

In this case we asked the Estacada FS trails person about doing work in the Clackamas area.  The two trails we are working on this spring were a test to build the local relationship.  If it works out then we can officially work on other trails.

We are looking to work closer to people familiar with the local trails.  If we can provide a crew, or just the organization and a person trained in trail design to keep a trail open we would like to.  Every stick is important, but sometimes it takes a crew to dig out a slide or reroute a trail to keep it open.  With FS cutbacks that will be more often a volenteer crew.

Curtis

Several of the people who post here fairly frequently used to be the volunteer trailcrew who have worked the trails in the Clackamas River Ranger District. We got notices of when we needed to be certified for chainsaw and crosscut saws. All that changed when Zigzag Ranger District took over our district for trail maintenance or Rec Dept. After futile attemps of a couple of our members to be certified with the FS, we gave up. And there we rest. And so do many of our trails.

Don1

"But the issue is that the FS wants to work with groups they have a relationship with, trust, and can do larger jobs. "

Strangely, that was Trailadvocates until a couple of years ago.  Just a handful of guys cleared most of the active Clackamas River RD trails, every season and as volunteers.  Chainsaws, crosscuts, loppers, and Pulaskis, all summer long.  That is a lot of trails, and a lot of hard work.  We were really more of a family than a trail crew.

Last year, I was asked to re-sign up as a volunteer, a strange request after volunteering for years previous.  Afterwards, I didn't hear a peep from the Forest Service.  In years past, I really felt a great working relationship with the USFS.  I felt like the hard work we accomplished was not only necessary to keep the trails alive, but deeply appreciated.  This no longer seems to be the case.

If history is any indication, the Clackamas River RD will continue to be marginalized.  It is a shame to lose such a valuable resource - people who love and know the land. 

Robert Koscik said
"But the issue is that the FS wants to work with groups they have a relationship with, trust, and can do larger jobs. "

Strangely, that was Trailadvocates until a couple of years ago.  Just a handful of guys cleared most of the active Clackamas River RD trails, every season and as volunteers.  Chainsaws, crosscuts, loppers, and Pulaskis, all summer long.  That is a lot of trails, and a lot of hard work.  We were really more of a family than a trail crew.

Last year, I was asked to re-sign up as a volunteer, a strange request after volunteering for years previous.  Afterwords, I didn't hear a peep from the Forest Service.  In years past, I really felt a great working relationship with the USFS.  I felt like the hard work we accomplished was not only necessary to keep the trails alive, but deeply appreciated.  This no longer seems to be the case.

If history is any indication, the Clackamas River RD will continue to be marginalized.  It is a shame to lose such a valuable resource - people who love and know the land. 

I guess you guys needed a mission statement. Too bad.

Topic starter

The certificate process for cross-cut and chain saw didn't work well when they first put it in place.  Training and certification was done by FS sawyers who had taken years to move  through apprentice to senior sawyer and felt that their jobs were being taken by volunteers (to some extent they were right).  They weren't happy with having to certify anyone at a level where they could be effective right away.  But a lot of the bugs have been worked out.

Most of the training and certification has been taken over by PCTA. It has an advantage of making the process more set up for volunteers.  But you don't find out about it unless you are on the PCTA mailing lists.  The spring certification classes just got over last week at Cascade Locks.  More info at  http://www.pcta.org/volunteer/trail-skills-college/saw-training/

I could ask the saw trainers if they would be willing to do a class with certification in the Clackamas area if there is sufficient interest.

On officially volunteering, Aaron was the FS coordinator for Estacada.  McKenzie Jensen out of ZigZag is now the main contact (mckenziejensen@fs.fed.us).  Part of the problem is that with cut backs the FS is overloaded.  It's often a case of you have to contact them with work party suggestions.  They aren't going to contact you and your previous information may have been lost in the change over.

Thanks for the info on the trail Donovan.  You were right, most of the work is between Fish Creek and Pup Creek.  9 larger logs and at least 3 spots the trail needs to be totally rebuilt.

Admin

Joe Keller said

I guess you guys needed a mission statement. Too bad.

I know you were probably joking, but I think the "About" page works very well as a "mission statement".  To Quote:

About

This Trail Advocate site has been formed by volunteers to promote the use, preservation, and restoration of hiking trails in the Clackamas River Ranger District of the Mount Hood National Forest in Oregon. The website is an effort to improve the availability of information on District trails, particularly those little used or  dropped from official maintenance.

Trail Advocates are people who individually and in association with one another hike and maintain District trails.  Some are Forest Service Volunteers while others are anonymous.  Anyone can be an Advocate. The vast majority of trail maintenance in the District is done by a handful of dedicated volunteers who highly value the District trails.

There is no formal organization.

Page 2 / 2