Roaring River hike

Notifications
Clear all

Roaring River hike

Topic starter

Did the hike down into Roaring River today. We took the upper trail off 4610. We hit deep snow on the road about 1/4 mile before the trailhead. There was snow at least half way down the trail which is as low as I've ever seen it this time of year. Quite different than some other years.

The trail itself is in much worse shape than the last time I was on it probably 2-3 years ago. The tread is falling down the hillside at the beginning of the switch backs and the salal and rhodies are doing a good job of hiding the trail towards the bottom. Tried to walk as heavy as I could and do some veg. smushing with the kayak but not sure 3 sets of boots made much of a difference.

Beautiful day today with wonderful views of the snowcapped hills across the canyon. Wish I'd brought my camera.

1 Reply
Admin

Three sets of boots are better than no sets of boots.

Several years ago we cleared the Corral Springs Trail. It hadn't been done for quite some time. Then I recieved an angry note from an avid environmentalist criticising us for clearing the trail. He said it would open it up to trouble. He was right. The next season I was working it and was met by a ATVs and dirt bikes. They had been tearing up the upper part of the trail. I figured the pebble slide would keep them from going too far. So I decided I wasn't going to do anything on the trail for a while.

Now that the zoning has changed, I may reconsider. The bottom has always been bad. Not many people use that trail; fewer seem to make it to the bottom. I like it a lot better than Grouse Point. The grade is better and the features are more interesting. I like the boulder field and the water at the spring below, well below, the field.

Donovan