Snow Conditions in ...

Notifications
Clear all

Snow Conditions in The High Country

I hope all you that could get out last weekend did, for it was great weather and almost felt like summer had finally made it's appearance in the upper reaches of the Clackamas.

On Saturday I went up to  Oak Grove Butte making it to about 4100 feet before I had to stop and walk the last 1/2 mile or so in the snow. I believe the turnaround spot was at the 5710 020 road. Once on top, the peak was bare of snow and the view was well worth the effort to get there. From the looks of snow on Fish Creek Mtn., Granite Peaks and others, it may be a few more weeks before some of the higher roads and trails clearup totally.

Don

i didn't get much past the shellrock lake trailhead but the road was pretty clear to that point. And it looked clear up and around the bend ahead. How high are those other areas? Sorry I have been to neither.

-d

Admin

Looking at the http://www.trailadvocate.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/CottonwoodMeadowsTrail.gpx&t=t 2" target="_blank">map of the Cottonwood Meadows trail, it looks like you have to pass about 4500' to get to those trails.  It looks like the Shellrock Lake trail is about 4200' or so.

Thanks for the update.

Ah - I would think the road would be clear to that point - judging just by the ammount of snow melt I witnessed on the road over the few days I was there. Most of the snow we witnessed was within the ridge shadows and under the trees.

-d

Got up to Black Wolf Meadows on Sunday and hiked over to Anvil to test the waters.  The meadows were super soggy as to be expected and the section from the trailhead to the meadows was more stream than trail, but overall I was ecstatic to make it up there after being unable to two weeks ago.  Anyone know why the 5810 is closed?  I am assuming logging operations, but am not 100% sure...

Page 4 / 5