Status of Grouse Po...

Notifications
Clear all

Status of Grouse Point Trail From Dry Ridge to the Roaring River - Sept 02, 2011

Topic starter

(Oops, title is wrong should be Dry Ridge, I don't know how to change it)

I did some work on that little used section of the #517 from its intersection with the Dry Ridge down to the Roaring River – well, I ran out of energy about half way down. I only mention this for the bonus points if any are left. The trail is faint and overgrown in places so I chopped some brush – vine maple and rhodies. Most of the downed trees were/are small.I could use a larger folding saw if anyone has a recommendation – the little one I have is good for about 10" or less.

I crossed the Roaring River and hiked north up the very clear and in good condition #517 to the 4611 and returned on Sounds Trail. I regret not taking the longer route via Huxley Lake Trail but it was getting late. The Sounds trail is OK with a couple of spots of downed larger logs that I think have been there for a while. The start of the trail from the 224 side has a few smaller downed trees that I think I"ll dispatch next time I"m over that way. Lots of branches on Sounds – I don"t think it has seen much traffic this year – I cleared what I could. Oh, at the north end of Sounds the meth lab (or whatever they were up to) has been completely cleared – can"t tell they were ever there.

Before

After

Before

After

Before

After

Crossing the RR

After crossing the Roaring River

The old sign indicating the road at the northern trail head of the 517 has been removed and replaced.

Old sign from 2009 visit

New sign

New sign

11 Replies
 Kirk

Yes, definitely you should receive bonus points. I like the before and after pics. Nice work!

Admin

Thank you Paul. That is one of the hardest stretches of Grouse Point to get taken care of.

Also good to hear that the lab is cleaned up.

We may have to see about getting you a Ginzu saw. Don, show him a picture.

I nominate you for a Bull of the Woods pin.

Donovan

Topic starter

Donovan said:

[...]
We may have to see about getting you a Ginzu saw. Don, show him a picture.

I nominate you for a Bull of the Woods pin.

[...]

Thanks Donovan and Kirk, I'd like to see the picture of a Ginzu saw - is it a Ron Popeil product? And I like pins, I hope I win.

Given I know nothing about twist and bind my trail clearing is going to limited to smaller stems and things that can be done safely by one person.

--Paul

Admin

Paul:

First off, thanks so much for doing that maintenance - that is the section we did on the "death march" I went on with you a couple of years ago.  :)    That is a section that really needs some attention, and is really hard to get to.

Secondly, the ginzu saw is some kind of Japansese saw with these really weird teeth - they are amazing saws and chew through limbs in nothing flat.  I need to get one as well.  They could take care of a majority of downed logs over trails, as many of them are small enough to be cut with a saw like that.  I'm limited in what I can do by my loppers.  Still important work (brushing), but it feels so good to get downed trees off the trail.

Lastly, I was able to fix the title of your posting, but I couldn't find any way to do it other than to change it in the back end database.  It should be OK now.

Thanks again for your help in maintaining our district trails!

Rob

Page 1 / 3