What trail am I on?

Notifications
Clear all

What trail am I on?

Topic starter

Zach said:

Rob:Yes, that fish did come from Surprise Lake and it is easily the biggest trout I have ever caught in the Clack Dist. I kind of took it as my reward for the hard work put in to get there, it was a very surreal experience. I often imagine the damage I could do in a couple days spent up there.The picture was taken from an unofficial trail I believe, definitely not in a wilderness area. I learned about it from a discussion thread on here a while back. It may be hard to see, but the actual trail is on the far right of the picture.

So I take it, you ate that creature. My only question would be, did you take it with a fly? It looked to be 12-16 inches long, but looks can be decieving. I tend to flyfish more as I age, and I am not sure why? My most enjoyable moments seem to be around letting go those fish which were the hardest to catch.

Don

Admin

That is not the Fish Creek Mtn trail, but you aren't too far away.  I'm pretty sure it is more lightly used than that trail.  I don't really know why it doesn't get much traffic, as it has LOTS of view and very interesting scenery. 

Fishing - I like to fly fish (but I'm not very good), however I usually can't at these high alpine lakes because most of them are so brushed in, my line always gets caught.  So I end up either using a bubble trying to imitate a fly line, or just use a lure or powerbait....The trout usually love powerbait, but if I use it, I know I'm more than likely going to kill the fish because they usually swallow the hook!

Admin

I am thinking you are on 502 between Squaw Mountain and Twin Springs.

Donovan

Admin

You are too far north.

Don:

I did not keep the rainbow from the picture.  I have practiced catch and release fishing for a while now, though on ocassion I will keep and fry a brookie while backpacking.  Seeing a stringer full of fish that will probably never make it out of the freezer, or a campfire full of foil, is what turns me off about fishing.

What I enjoy most about fishing is the 'take'.  That and 'discovering' a lake that has not seen man nor lure for a spell and holds the fish to prove it.

I do not fly fish and have never learned how.  I almost strictly use lures.  I didn't measure that rainbow from surprise lake, but my fingers together measure four inches.  I would guess that it was easily between 16 and 18 inches.  It was a beast, and the only one that touched my lure after about a hundred casts that day.

Rob:

I don't recognize that trail from your picture, but if it is as you describe and I have not hiked it, I will be kicking myself all winter. 

Page 37 / 193