506/508/509 and the...

Notifications
Clear all

506/508/509 and the old Abbott Trail

Topic starter

Don and I flagged and cleared Plaza a good way down a couple of years ago, it was steep and vague.  Burnt out country in the 30s, not much to cut or blaze.

Your efforts are appreciated and the trail is seeing some use, thx.

Last summer we found and cleared a good stretch of pre-Abbot Road trail (anyone know the #?) in the vicinity.  Big trees growing up through the tread, but it was still pretty obvious under the brush.

I'd like to see that, I think it is worth another trip out there - where would I pick up the section you guys worked on? I like Don's Clackamas Lake Trail name.

[...] Was there much trash at 2 Springs?

In the campground, none that I noticed, along the nearby road very little. The big trash pile was at Lookout Springs and there was evidence of shooting at the quarry.

--Paul

Cougar-Creek-Dist-001a.jpgPaul you must be the Energizer Bunny or what! I crawled over a couple of those 6' + dia logs down in the bottom of the Roaring River while exploring the Cougar Creek Trail, but gave up looking for a trail upriver. I did see a cut log going downriver towards Plaza Creek, but never explored it. There is a tread across the Roaring River that climbs out of the canyon but fades as Rob knows. There is 2-3 miles of tread coming down from Signal Buttes ending up on a flat plateau between Cougar Creek and the Roaring River, probably about a mile between the sections. I hope to connect the segments together this year if I ever get down there. (See map)

As far as the Plaza - Clackamas Lake Trail you walked past several miles of trail hiking the road back to your ride. You know where the Cougar Creek Trail comes off the 4610 road, well the trail goes above the road to join up with the Plaza-Clackamas Lake Trail that parallels the road and will take you within a 1/4 mile of the Plaza Lake trailhead ending in an old clearcut above the road. If you walk up the road past the Plaza Lake Trailhead and look for a faint spur road above the old clearcut that comes down to the road and follow up such spur road to flagging you will intersect the old trail there. It's been flagged and brushed somewhat towards the east to a junction with the Salmon Lake Trail and onto the Cougar Creek Trail.

Don

Admin
Page 2 / 2