New Facebook Group ...

Notifications
Clear all

New Facebook Group advocating getting Hwy. 224 back open

Topic starter

We've just started a new Facebook Group, Open224. Just in the initial stages so not advocating any specific actions or timeline now but thought it would be a good start to begin gathering support from a diverse group of people. At a minimum we hope to get more timely information and plans from ODOT and the FS.

Please follow if you are so inclined. Happy to answer and questions I can or hear ideas and thoughts on the subject.

cheers, pete

5 Replies
Admin

Thank Pete.  I know you've been vocal about reopening the highway.  That last update was particularly depressing.  Tripcheck.com now just shows the highway as closed - no updates, no timeline, no nothing.

15 months and counting is ridiculous and time to make some noise.

Admin

Here is the link to the facebook page for anyone interested:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/262438762642778

403 members and growing fast.

Topic starter

Rob, I really think there needs to be a push to get access back open to some of the trails that weren't affected by the fires but it's complicated because the Forest Service wants to gate off a lot of roads that are "unsafe". There is a ton of trail work to do and the longer the highway stays closed the longer it will take to get that done. I'm sure the area around Big Bottom wasn't burned.

I'm sure I'll get into Roaring River next spring when the snow melts on the road but that might be some of the only stuff available. I suppose there is potential to get to some of the trails northwest of  Timothy?

Admin

Pete Giordano397072624 said
Rob, I really think there needs to be a push to get access back open to some of the trails that weren't affected by the fires but it's complicated because the Forest Service wants to gate off a lot of roads that are "unsafe". There is a ton of trail work to do and the longer the highway stays closed the longer it will take to get that done. I'm sure the area around Big Bottom wasn't burned.

I'm sure I'll get into Roaring River next spring when the snow melts on the road but that might be some of the only stuff available. I suppose there is potential to get to some of the trails northwest of  Timothy?  

I couldn't agree more.  Last summer for a brief time there was some access to trails on the east side, although it was a very long drive.  Over Mt Hood, down road 42 to 46 and then you could  get to some trails, although 46 was closed before the junction with 63, so that was an even longer drive.  Unfortunately, that was all closed later in the summer due to the Bull Complex fire and it hasn't reopened yet either.

I'm hoping that the Forest service is using this "quiet" time to do some maintenance on trails affected by the fires, but trails in Bull of the Woods probably need a lot of attention to.  I doubt they got much in the way of traffic this year.

The entire west side of the district was closed and completely unavailable last year.  There is a LOT of trail mileage that was not affected by the fires.

I hope your facebook group is successful in getting some traction on 224 reopening. 

Page 1 / 2