Notifications
Clear all

Open roads...

Topic starter

YAY! It looks like 46 is now open from 224 to the MHNF boundary. 63, 70 and 42 and many other roads in the area are also open. This links to a 7 page PDF with tons of info...

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd1008921.pdf

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/mthood/fire/?cid=fseprd835619

1. What roads are now open?
Forest Roads (FR) 46, FR 63, FR 70, FR 42, and many of their spurs are some of the popular routes
that are now open on Mt. Hood National Forest. Virtually all forest roads outside of the Riverside,
Lionshead, and Bull Complex fire perimeters are now open. Additionally, most of our minor, low
traffic roads within the fire areas have opened. Many of these roads do require high clearance
vehicles.

2. What roads remain closed?
Several roads with relatively high historic traffic volumes still have danger tree work that will be
completed before we can open them to vehicles. Once our Clackamas River Roadside Danger Tree
Environmental Assessment decision is signed, we plan to begin work to clear and reopen these
roads as soon as possible.
Roads that will remain closed to motor vehicles until danger trees are removed include:
• FR 4220 between FR 46 and Olallie Lake
• FR 45 (Hillockburn Rd.) at forest boundary
• FR 4620 at Hwy 224 junction
• FR 4631 at Hwy 224 junction
• FR 54 (Fish Creek Rd.) at Hwy 224 junction
• FR 57 between Hwy 224 and Lake Harriet
• FR 4630 between Hwy 224 and Lake Harriet

5. Can I walk on closed roads & across the land in burned areas?
Yes. Please be aware of your surroundings for hanging limbs, loose rocks and soil, stumps, and
other burned area hazards. In addition to looking around you, listen. Even a light breeze may cause
burned trees to sway or fall, and your ears may be the first indication to stay out of an area or get
out of the way. Get more burned area safety tips: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/mthood/burnsafety

3. When will the trails within the fire areas reopen?
It depends. While many sections of trail were lightly impacted, many trails lost bridges, have
scorched and damaged soils, suffered rockslides, or are covered with down trees.
While most trails are now open, keep in mind the Forest Service will not clear standing dead and
dying trees along entire trails, so hikers should use extreme caution and keep aware of hazards.
Trails that remain closed include Clackamas River Trail #715 and Riverside Trail #723 as they were
highly damaged, lost trail bridges, and are dangerous in many parts. Double Peaks #735 is
effectively gone as a trail and will need to be rebuilt. Check our website for other individual trails in
fire areas: www.fs.usda.gov/goto/mthood/2020fires

Ted

1 Reply
Admin

The best news in that announcement was the opening of the burned areas to foot traffic. WAY overdue, but I'm glad they finally opened the burned areas.

I doubt any of the feeder roads will be open this year, however.  Given the glacial pace at which all this has occurred so far, it will be interesting to see how quickly they can get some of the feeder roads open.

I also found the comment about the double peaks trail interesting - it was never a great trail - I've only been on it once and that was quite a few years ago.  It wasn't a great trail then, I can only imagine what happened to it in the fire.