Trail No. Master In...

Notifications
Clear all

Trail No. Master Index?

Topic starter

Is there some sacred old list out there that contains all of the trail numbers for the Clackamas River RD, including former (abandoned) trails?  

The only place I've seen trail #s listed is on the 60s and 70s MHNF maps.  

It would be good to know the original numbers when we rescue trails from oblivion.

How did they keep track of trail numbers in the old days?  It is a logical system, based on the old ranger districts.  I just haven't seen this document, maybe it's long gone.

Thank you!

6 Replies
Topic starter

Apparently no one knows of such an index.  SO, how do "those in the know" know the old trail numbers?

The oldest maps have the trails named, not numbered: "Red House Trail".

Admin

My understanding is the first digit was the Distric the trail was in. Our current Clackamas River District is I believe four or parts of four prior Districts merged over time.

Don 2

I noticed a list on the FS website 4-5 years ago that showed current and abandoned trail numbers for the Mt Hood Nat'l Forest, but that seems to be gone in the last revision or two they have done to their website.

Don

Admin

Donovan said
My understanding is the first digit was the Distric the trail was in. Our current Clackamas River District is I believe four or parts of four prior Districts merged over time.

The 1967 Mt Hood NF map shows our District as all or parts of Estacada, Lakes, Collawash and Bear Springs.

You can see the map segments here:

http://www.trailadvocate.org/?page_id=4547#40

It would have been nice to see that old trail number listing.  It seems like a lot of good useful information was lost with the FS website "upgrade".

Page 1 / 2