Notifications
Clear all

The Farm

Admin
Topic starter
10 Replies
Admin

I think it had something to do with Mr Bagby.

Hey Rob, is that an old Metzger map from the 60's, it sure shows alot of abandoned trails in that area of "The Farm" that you mentioned? I know there has been alot of logging up there, but looks like a good place to go exploring this summer.

Don

Admin
Topic starter

I believe I found that on the 1955 Clackamas County Metzger map.  It is the "overview" map.  They didn't seem to have the detailed township map for that area, just the big overview map.  I think (but could definitely be mistaken) the trail the goes by North Dickey peak is the 550 trail?  Or at least part of it?  It kind of looks to me like the area that was "the farm" is very near where 550 starts.  There is a big flat area there - I always thought it was a logging landing, but maybe it was "the farm" before that. 

Interesting history anyway....

Rob Williams said
While looking through some old online maps, I saw this curious thing - Near Lillypad Lake, a place called "The Farm".  Anyone know any details about it?

Your Metzger Map shows a structure south of the road and a little short of where Trail 550 nowdays takes off from the road for Bull of the Woods. I've hiked there many times over the years but never knew to look for signs of it. I'm planning to go up there this summer so I'll look then. Possibly the name was sarcastic but who knows maybe someone tried planted a garden up there or maybe it was more like a horse and/or mule ranch. The structure likely was a cabin but again who knows maybe a barn.

I've been asking around but so far nobody seems to remember. Those that would are mostly gone now. If I can find anyone who does I'll post it here. A good example of how National Forest history fades as each generation dies away.

I'm thinking a car shuttle from Trial 550 to 559 and down to Road 6380 in July. Plenty of wildflowers and quite a bit of the two burns depending on the exact route (556 or 554).

Bryon

Page 1 / 3