Notifications
Clear all

Buck Lake Trail

Admin
Topic starter
4 Replies
 Kirk

Are you sure that's Buck Lake? It looks like where Hideaway Lake should be. Confused

Looking at the aerial, it looks like that area on the north end of that trail hasn't been logged for quite a while. Down by Cottonwood Meadows it looks like there's been a lot of activity.

Someone mentioned a while ago the trail between Cache Meadow and Shellrock Lake. Maybe they saw the trail going south to Cottonwood Meadows?

Admin
Topic starter

Yeah, you are correct.  I was looking at a different map that did have a trail near Buck Lake (I think)  I've been looking at so many old maps lately they are starting to blur....

I'll bet that trail is the elusive trail from Shellrock lake to Cache Meadow.  That area is on my todo list this summer - I want to try and look for it.

Admin

I can show you all the trails you see there except the one east out of Cottonwood.

Field trip. 

Which shows on the first GLO survey (I think). The earliest trail in the area. I figured a trapper or gatherer trail. I haven't noticed if there is camas in those meadows or not.

The Cache/Shellrock was the main trunk line. Why go up to go down when you can go down to go up? And water the horses to boot.

The Cotton to the trunk line is faint, deep brush but well blazed. You can get on it at the big spring for the campground which is beside the road past the Shellrock Trailhead.

Hideaway was a private claim, I think. That's why is shows that way.

Admin
Topic starter

Donovan said
I can show you all the trails you see there except the one east out of Cottonwood.

Field trip. 

Which shows on the first GLO survey (I think). The earliest trail in the area. I figured a trapper or gatherer trail. I haven't noticed if there is camas in those meadows or not.

The Cache/Shellrock was the main trunk line. Why go up to go down when you can go down to go up? And water the horses to boot.

The Cotton to the trunk line is faint, deep brush but well blazed. You can get on it at the big spring for the campground which is beside the road past the Shellrock Trailhead.

Hideaway was a private claim, I think. That's why is shows that way.

Field trip! - name the date and I'll be there!

Interesting that Hideaway Lake was a private claim at one time.  Actually, it is interesting to look at how much land that is public today was once in private ownership.