Notifications
Clear all

South Fork Trail

Admin
Topic starter

So, Eagle Eye Don appears to have found some historical evidence of the old 511 trail (South Fork).  He was looking at one of the old lookout photos from Frazier Mountain, and saw this in the distance:

It looks pretty clear the cut in the middle of the photo is a trail.  If so, that trail is quite a bit higher up the hill than what the maps shows.  Here is what the map shows:

So, this area might warrant some more explorations higher up the hillside rather than following the river.  I think Paul had done some exploring up this route, and found some trail at the beginning, but quickly lost it if I recall correctly.

P.S. - I used the "new" method of dragging photos into the editor - it works SLICK!  Although I'm using firefox - not sure how well IE would handle it.

6 Replies
Admin

We know where it departs 512. It looks like not to drop off that head wall and head towards the rock field.

That might show on satellite.

Don2

Admin
Topic starter

So, Brian, you seem to have good luck with some satellite imagery (looking for all those waterfalls), do you see any evidence of a trail through those rock slides?  I took a look on google and did not see anything evident to me.  It looked like the photos were taken late in the day (the shadows looked pretty long to me).

I'll take a look with a couple different sources and see what I can find. Google's imagery up the Clackamas is very shadowy, almost unusable.

Admin
Topic starter

When you get done, can you share your sources?  I'd like to find a good source of aerial images.  Kind of like looking at different maps, sometimes different aerial views can give you additional info.

Page 1 / 2