Notifications
Clear all

Surprise Lake

Walking the old roads appears to be the only way to get to Surprise Lake. I've been to the lake once. Nice lake. I am intrigued by how much interest this lake has with folks, its so obscure and never had a main trail near it. The top of the Camelsback is a cool area, lots of ponds tucked in along the ridge top.

Admin

I believe it is well remebered by many because they could drive to it and it was likely stocked frequently. So it was fun and easy to get too.

The drainage was popular with many before it was shut down.

D.

I just returned from Skookum lake this afternoon, I did take a jont up to the north to the first 4 way, the thought of trying for Surprise lake crossed my mind. but I was sort of under a time constraint and I was soaked. I wonder if it would be easier to try from the wash creek side . 

Admin

We will be doing more explorations from the Wash Creek side this weekend - looking for remnants of the old Cold Springs trail.  I still don't believe there is an "easy" way to get there, but hopefully if we can find this trail out to Wash Creek, it will be easier.

If that "other" trail could be found, that would be even better, but thus far, no one seems to know much about it.

Around 25 years back we bushwacked upwards on the west side of Baty Butte and onto the peaks west of Surprise Lake. The route we took would have intersected the old trail on the '38 map Don sent in. We started on the Baty Butte trailhead after driving up. We did not attempt to find Surprise. I don't remember anything looking like a trail.I do not remember anything that looked like a trail but the route was not difficult to follow. They strung the telephone wire along this route and right over the top of Baty Butte. The maps show a lookout on Baty but on my rock scrambles to the top I saw no sign of it.

If our inquirers haven't found it already, Skookum Lake may be a better option starting from the unmarked trailhead on the Molalla side. The abandoned Fish Creek Ridge trail is a bit tricky to find due to blowdown but it makes for a better trip than the former road. A loop can be made with the road. Thunder Mountain could be added in and still make it a day trip. Send me a PM if you would like details.

Bryon

Page 2 / 11