Notifications
Clear all

Surprise Lake

Sounds intriguing. I would love to see a track of it as it seems like it would inherently involve navigating heavy alders and other brush, plus numerous harvested areas. In other words just about as crude as trails get. In my historic map digging I don't think I came across a route that seemed to even approach Surprise Lake, let alone go between the two lakes. 

Hi my name is Irish and with Paul I helped develop the trail down to the lower road from Skookum to Surprise lake. Paul has been trying to get on this site but has not had any response from the admin. The Dotted I trail as we have dubbed it is a crude but easy way to shave 3 miles of old roadbed walking off the route. We have flagged it so it is easy to follow. We try to visit Surprise lake at least twice a year and we cut the Alder back as much as we can. The thickest part is where the old road crosses Fish Creek. Since they blocked the quad users from coming in here the old road bed is choking up with alder. We are hoping more people visit the lake and help cut back the Alder. 

Admin

I help run the site here and haven't seen any requests for login help.  Can you have him send an email to webmaster@trailadvocate.org with details of whatever login issues he is having?  I found out recently that that email address somehow got deleted, but it has been restored for several weeks now.

I would love to see this trail - Surprise Lake is an interesting place, but I've not found an easy way to get there yet.

I will pass the info on to him

UnderwaterArsonist said
Sounds intriguing. I would love to see a track of it as it seems like it would inherently involve navigating heavy alders and other brush, plus numerous harvested areas. In other words just about as crude as trails get. In my historic map digging I don't think I came across a route that seemed to even approach Surprise Lake, let alone go between the two lakes. 

And that's a large part of my attraction to the area, it's more than just walking some mindless trail that's guaranteed to get you from point A to point B. You have to actually use a map to figure out where you're at and what might be the best way to get there. This year I & Irish scouted in advance of the Skookum Trek & Camp and found a route in from the Fish Creek Mountain trailhead. And I've already started planning my route for next year, each time I find new areas explore.

Page 5 / 11