What trail am I on?

Notifications
Clear all

What trail am I on?

Rob Williams said
AHA!  You changed your post!  So since it IS in a wilderness, I'm going to guess the MP3 trail.

You are pretty close and the trail segment in question is like the MP3 as it is a connector between a road and a trail and is part of what was a longer trail segment that was relocated.

That's a pretty big hint...

--Paul

Admin

I thought this thread was dead but found it and see I have missed a lot.

The latest picture I think is heading out into that small rock field at the midway point on Dry Ridge connecting said trail to the 4635 road.

Don Too 

Donovan said
I thought this thread was dead but found it and see I have missed a lot.

The latest picture I think is heading out into that small rock field at the midway point on Dry Ridge connecting said trail to the 4635 road.

Don Too 

We have a winner! This segment was part of the Dry Ridge Trail before the upper part was relocated. Not that I was in the area for this but I was reading Don & Roberta Lowe's 62 Hiking Trails Northern Oregon Cascades and Dry Ridge Trail is one of the hikes. They say as they describe the approach to this segment as "[...] come to a small scree slope. In 1979 trail crews are scheduled to begin relocating the trail to the north from here." The map shows the old (then current) alignment and the proposed re-route. The re-route explains why there is no blaze on this segment of Dry Ridge. I walked from this trail segment and across the 4635 road and located probable blaze, maintenance, and tread. Rhodies have taken over. I was not able to find the old junction at the Grouse Point end. The reason for the relocation was the road building and logging in the area. Too bad other trails did not get this kind of attention.

DryRidge.jpg

Admin

And you can see notes from Rondy about this re-route here.

Some day I need to look at that trail....

Admin

I have run across the parallel Grouse Point trail east of there. It kind runs into the trail below the helipad over Serene Lake. Someone could follow it west. But I suspect it's in and out of clear cuts.

I will look for a picture.

D Too. 

Page 26 / 46