Notifications
Clear all

Chain Saw

Topic starter

Can someone recommend a decent chain saw?  I can't afford a Stihl, but I also don't want junk.  Is there a middle ground?  Seems like all the saws less than $200 are junk.  Buying used seems risky.

The high initial cost and need for brushing and tread work in the district is the reason I haven't gotten a chain saw yet, but I really need to get one eventually.  Maybe I should just save up for a saw that will last.

It's frustrating that the Forest Service doesn't provide saws for certified users.  How do you guys justify wearing out your own expensive saws?  I guess it's in the spirit of service. 

I gotta get this crosscut sharpened too.

7 Replies
Admin

Although I don't use it for trail work, I've had a Stihl that my father in law bought me almost 20 years ago used that I still use every year for firewood, etc.  It works great, and the only thing I've done to it is a tuneup once and a new chain every once in a while.  My only complaint is that it doesn't like to idle, but I've heard that complaint on older Stihl saws.  I have no idea how much he paid for it, but it has been a great saw.

Topic starter

That's the thing man. Pay now or pay later, you choose.  Unfortunately quality costs.

Hey, is a 16" bar big enough, or should I go 18" or 20"?

Are these Poulan Pro saws absolute junk?  Here's one with a 20" bar for around $200 but it's' heavy at 26 lbs.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DGA72/netwmarklead-20/

Here's a review for the Stihl saw I probably need for trail and camp use, the MS250 or MS290.  Almost $400 ouch.  But it will last a lifetime.

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/new_products/article/0,,hpro_20178_5027790,00.html

Admin

I really don't know if the Poulan saws are junk or not, but my saw was purchased used and it has worked VERY well for me.  So, assuming you are careful, I think buying a used Stihl might be the way to go.  Last I looked, a complete tuneup on a saw was something like $80, so unless the saw was broken or severely damaged, a tuneup would probably be the only thing needed to have a great saw.  As far as bar length, I'd say it depends on the weight.  The longer the bar, the heavier the saw.  I think you probably want as long a bar as you can muster, for versatility.

Admin

You might call Charles and see how he feels about his. Also, Eric is a saw finder. Often gets good saws cheap. I think he would be pleased to set you up.

Might work with Don on filing.

Donovan

Page 1 / 2