"Abandoned" Trails

Notifications
Clear all

"Abandoned" Trails

Just when I was getting excited about the possibility of hiking part of the 50's route of the Skyline Trail from Cachebox Meadow in the south to Pot Creek Cabin in the north along the Rho Ridge and Burnt Granite trails the FS abandoned all or most of these trails. This route would be the longest North/South trail hikeable in the district besides the PCT and only a mile or so of walking on a road. This 50's reroute of the Skyline Trail is truly worth keeping alive, not only from a historical standpoint, but to those who brought these trails back from the previous abandonment.

Don

Admin

Well don't let them spoil your fun. Use the trails anyway.

The one bummer tho is that now they can log those sections and don't have to pay any attention to the trail resource.

People need to remember that recreation is the lowest Forest Service priority.

D 2

Well, if it helps at least 3 of this will appear in the book I am currently writing. I'm still not sure what to do about Olallie Butte, but I know that Top Lake, Pyramid Butte and Geronimo will be there in some form.

I cannot figure out why the MHNF would want to decommission at least some of these trails, but then they do a lot of stuff that just boggles my mind.

Admin
Topic starter

Pyramid Butte is in GREAT shape.  The only hard thing is knowing where to head off from the PCT to get to it.  Olallie Butte is in great shape as well.

Have you hiked Geronimo since the fire?  I've only hiked it once several years ago, pre-fire.  My fear is that the fire wasn't kind to it.  It was pretty faint in spots before the fire.

Rob Williams said
Pyramid Butte is in GREAT shape.  The only hard thing is knowing where to head off from the PCT to get to it.  Olallie Butte is in great shape as well.

Have you hiked Geronimo since the fire?  I've only hiked it once several years ago, pre-fire.  My fear is that the fire wasn't kind to it.  It was pretty faint in spots before the fire.

I had trouble finding Pyramid when I was up there last summer, but I wasn't looking hard at all since I was headed up to Park Ridge. I'm going to wait out the mosquitoes this year and head up there in September, after I'm done teaching summer school and having consistent time to devote to writing.

I've never hiked Geronimo but I've seen numerous reports on Portland Hikers that it's really, really faint but easy enough to follow because it just sticks to the ridge. I'll head up that way in a few weeks to check it out for myself. What I'm interested in a lot more is the condition of the road to the Elk Lake Creek TH. I have a low-clearance 1997 Sentra that didn't like the potholes on that road the last time I went up there. I heard a story that somebody was working on the road but I have nothing to back that up.

Page 2 / 3