"Abandoned" Trails

Notifications
Clear all

"Abandoned" Trails

Admin
Topic starter

There is a waypoint on the GPS track for Pyramid butte that shows the jct.  When we did it, we missed the jct on the way in, but found it on the way out.  My recollection was that it was covered with brush to hide the junction.

When we did Geronimo, we did it from the top down - we did Elk Lake to Welcome Lakes to Geronimo to Elk Lake and back.  That junction at the top with Welcome Lakes and Geronimo is all burned now - I was near there after the fire and the signs were all burned and it was tough to figure out what went where.  It wasn't too hard to take it down - not sure we followed it exactly, but most of the way we were on the old tread I think.  I'm worried that the fire was not kind to it.  Welcome Lakes down near the lakes is getting pretty rough to follow, and Schreiner down to Lake Lenore is essentially gone due to the fire.  (unless someone has been up there cleaning up the old tread).

I had heard that the road to Elk Lake had been worked on and was in really good shape - I'm guessing there will be some thinning going on in that area soon.  That seems to be the only time they do any road work.

Rob Williams said
There is a waypoint on the GPS track for Pyramid butte that shows the jct.  When we did it, we missed the jct on the way in, but found it on the way out.  My recollection was that it was covered with brush to hide the junction.

When we did Geronimo, we did it from the top down - we did Elk Lake to Welcome Lakes to Geronimo to Elk Lake and back.  That junction at the top with Welcome Lakes and Geronimo is all burned now - I was near there after the fire and the signs were all burned and it was tough to figure out what went where.  It wasn't too hard to take it down - not sure we followed it exactly, but most of the way we were on the old tread I think.  I'm worried that the fire was not kind to it.  Welcome Lakes down near the lakes is getting pretty rough to follow, and Schreiner down to Lake Lenore is essentially gone due to the fire.  (unless someone has been up there cleaning up the old tread).

I had heard that the road to Elk Lake had been worked on and was in really good shape - I'm guessing there will be some thinning going on in that area soon.  That seems to be the only time they do any road work.

Do you mean the road to Elk Lake, or the road to the northern trailhead? Neither are all that fun, but there's no way in hell I'm ever subjecting my little old car to the road to the lake. I went up there with a friend a couple of years ago on a research trip and his Subaru did fine, but I don't think I'd want to put my little Nissan through that.

The road to the northern trailhead is generally fine but I wish they'd just remove the pavement and make it entirely gravel. I think that would solve a lot of the problems that road has (the potholes, the transitions from pavement to gravel, etc).

If you want to do Geronimo I've been eying a Elk Lake Creek / Geronimo / Big Slide Mtn / Welcome Lakes loop that would be a lot of fun, even though it would be a very long day on rough trails.

Admin
Topic starter

Matt Reeder said

Do you mean the road to Elk Lake, or the road to the northern trailhead? Neither are all that fun, but there's no way in hell I'm ever subjecting my little old car to the road to the lake. I went up there with a friend a couple of years ago on a research trip and his Subaru did fine, but I don't think I'd want to put my little Nissan through that.
The road to the northern trailhead is generally fine but I wish they'd just remove the pavement and make it entirely gravel. I think that would solve a lot of the problems that road has (the potholes, the transitions from pavement to gravel, etc).
If you want to do Geronimo I've been eying a Elk Lake Creek / Geronimo / Big Slide Mtn / Welcome Lakes loop that would be a lot of fun, even though it would be a very long day on rough trails.

Yeah, I meant the road to the northern Elk Lake Creek trailhead.  I've heard it has been worked on and is in good shape. 

Your Geronimo loop sounds a lot like mine except in reverse?  It was a long day, but Geronimo was easier to do top down than bottom up I think.  It does lose a LOT of elevation quickly.

Page 3 / 3