April 16 Report

Notifications
Clear all

April 16 Report

Topic starter

Finally got beyond North Fork last Saturday for the first time since the fire. Took the boy so he could see the Fish Creek canyon, a place we visited long ago. I was prepared, but was still surprised. Especially at Roaring River. Hoped that the two cars parked there were hiking and not rebuilding the giant mounds of trash left by shooters in the past. Saw a crew camping at Riverside and wondered if that might reopen this summer. Loved seeing all the rafters. Hoping to spend more time in the district this summer.

2 Replies
Admin

Roaring River is indeed a shock when seen for the first time post fire - the huge trees that used to shelter that whole area are all gone now.  I've sort of gotten used to the "new look", but it is sad, especially since some careless person started this whole fire.

As far as campgrounds go, the latest fire update says that Rainbow might open up later this summer but doesn't mention Riverside.  I'm guessing maybe it will reopen next summer.  It will be good to see the store open again.

The Roaring River shooting area is definitely alive and well. Hoping it gets enforced this year. The hike up the Fish Creek Road is quite pleasant. Haven't been more than a couple miles up there but fire damage seems more muted there than other places. So thankful to still have a lot of nice areas up past Ripplebrook and on the Collawash to remember what the lower river looked like.