Facility on top of ...

Notifications
Clear all

Facility on top of Whale Head?

Topic starter

Rob Williams said

BrianEdwards said
The site isn't registered with any towers or antennas that I could find. There's a gate a short ways down the road, something else to investigate I suppose

Is the tower on Squaw Mountain registered somewhere?

Surprisingly, I can't find a registry for it, hmm

Topic starter

Found some info on Whale Head, Tumala Mtn doesn't show up though.

WHALE HEADType: Tower, Overall height: 34 m, Call Sign: WPXA420
Assigned Frequencies: 467.237 MHz
Grant Date: 01/26/2013, Expiration Date: 02/20/2023, 
Registrant: Forest Industries Telecommunication

Read more:  http://www.city-data.com/towers/lmobile-Estacada-Oregon.html#ixzz2xOB0J42U

Admin

Interesting.  Wondering who "FIT" was, I googled the name and address and came up with this:

http://www.landmobile.com/

FIT stands for Forest Industries Telecommunication, so I'm guessing it is someone that the forest service must contract with.  Either that, or private companies use it as well.

Once the snow melts, that will be on my list of places to visit.

Topic starter

Was in the area, so I decided to head to the top of Whale Head yesterday to see how far I could get. Predictably we got stopped by snow about a mile short of the tower. 

The reason im even posting this is the view. It is superb! One can see the valley, Portland and beyond to the coast range. The view rivals Goat Mtn.

Eminent Member

This thread intrigued me last spring when I saw the facilities on top of Whale Head on Google Maps. I tried pretty much every weekend in May MVIMG_20180602_114753a.jpgMVIMG_20180602_113808a.jpgto get up there and finally made it on June 2. The structures are indeed transmitters for the logging industry. They were in remarkably great shape. The road in was covered with brush for the 1st quarter mile, but then cleared after that. The views were fantastic - great shots of Hood, Jefferson, Ripplebrook, and Frog Lake. There was lots of fresh bear & cougar scat up there. We spooked something (actually 2 somethings) on our way out. We heard a loud grunt from the thick brush near the road and then the cracking of the brush as whatever they were ran the opposite direction. It scared the crap out of us! I've attempted to post some pictures from the excursion.

Page 2 / 5