Great day hiking in...

Notifications
Clear all

Great day hiking in the warm sunshine

Topic starter

IMG_3664.jpgIMG_3667.jpgIMG_3650.jpgIMG_3669.jpgGot to love those weather inversions like we had today keeping the valley all cloudy and cool, but the mountains were basking in the warm February sun. I headed out this morning just hoping to make it up to the upper Clackamas depending on the snow level and hoping it wouldn't rain. Boy was I suprised to see clear blue skies and warm temps in the 50-60's once I got past Indian Henry. Ran into some snow on the road near the Riverside trail, but that changed once I headed east past the River Ford campground and the road cleared up. I hiked up one of the many abandoned trails we have in our district, this one climbs up a south slope.

I had worn my snow boots, thinking that I would be in snow soon, but didn't see any until I reached the 2500' level, which was about a foot deep all at once. My hiking boots, had I worn them are only 6 inches high would have been taking on snow now. Glad I had my snow boots on.

That snowy road is one that just got decommissioned last year.

Murphy, my everpresent companion was enjoying the sun too, or just waiting to eat my lunch.

View of Fish Creek Mtn from across the way from a clearcut that this old trail goes through.

Great day out hiking and enjoying the sun.

Don

2 Replies
 Kirk

I thought you might have some nice weather up there.  Did you go up Switch Creek?

Kirk

Topic starter

As a matter of fact, I did. A "way trail". Probably was an old Indian trail that got converted once the FS took over. A few more trees down, but not bad. It was an unexpected pleasure out there today.

Don