Notifications
Clear all

Snow level

Topic starter

IMG_3673.jpgIMG_3674.jpgI was up the "C" yesterday and decided to drive as far as I wanted to go, so I did. I made it up to as far as the 4650 road at Big Bottom and turned around there. It is pretty much single tracks from there up. I could have driven further, but I left my snowshoes at home and didn't think I could reach any trails higher up, so I turned around and went a couple of miles back down to an abandoned trail in the area that I knew about.  I include a couple of photos: one of the bridge at the 4650 road and the other looking further east up the 46 onto the Olallie Lakes area. I had a great day in the sun hiking on yet another abandoned trail in the area.

Don

14 Replies

Did the mother lode trails ever get cleaned up after the fire.  Have not been in there since last June.  Lots of large down trees above Elk Creek that I couldn't move.  Snow is down now so I have been hiking some of the coast wilderness areas.  

Admin

Patch said
Did the mother lode trails ever get cleaned up after the fire.  Have not been in there since last June.  Lots of large down trees above Elk Creek that I couldn't move.  Snow is down now so I have been hiking some of the coast wilderness areas.  

I do not know if they have been cleaned up, but I highly doubt it.  I went into the Welcome Lakes area last year, and those hadn't been cleaned up at all.  Snags and downed logs all over the place.  Those trails don't get much in the way of maintenance.  It is sad too - there was a trail crew in there just before those fires - they were doing a lot of much needed maintenance.  Most of it was destroyed by the fires.

I guess it's that time to dust off this thread, and get some reports on where the snow is at.  Anyone in the know? 

Last Sunday I spent the day exploring behind the wheel...on the Detroit side of 46. In most cases I was able to make it up between 2600' and 3000' before the snow depth turned me around. This weekend will probably be no different due to the low temps this week...

Page 1 / 3