Hawk Mountain

Notifications
Clear all

Hawk Mountain

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Now that the roads are open I decided to set out and try Rho Ridge to Hawk Mountain. We set out early this morning and made our way up to the trailhead. The hike itself was remarkably clear. I believe there were only 3 minor blow downs. The trail was faint in the first quarter mile or so. The burn hit the first half mile pretty good and then the 2nd half mile was devastation but still very hike-able. The second mile was great very little sign of damage until you approach the top where the cabin sits. Checking the log book, it appears there have been a few visitors over the past couple years. Many seemed to be workers that came up to clean up. Their services were much appreciated. After the Hawk hike we drove to Olallie Lake. Olallie is still pretty much shut down. Lots of folks were there checking it out - the parking near the store was packed. In all a great day. Very nice to get back in the wilderness.Hawk-Mtn.jpg

2 Replies
Admin

It is good to see the cabin - I see they cut down the tree next to it (that makes perfect sense when they were trying to save it).  Overall, it looks in pretty good shape considering what its been thru the last couple of years.

Admin

Just a quick note to let you know that I visited the cabin a couple weeks ago in the snow.  I was pleased that the fire damage wasn't nearly as bad as I was fearing.  The trail was easy to follow and I think they've cleared it out recently.

I kind of think this is now inaccessible due to all the snow we've had this week unfortunately.