Mountain ID

Notifications
Clear all

Mountain ID

Topic starter
Eminent Member

I was up on Mt Lowe back in October. I need some help ID'ing what mountains can be seen. To the south it looks like Three Fingered Jack, Sisters, & Mt Washington like up for a great picture. Are these indeed these mountains in that order?

To the north - its either Mt Adams or Mt Rainier, I'm not sure. To the right of the mystery mountain is Mt Hood. To the left a is St Helens. Any idea? Rainier or Adams?

Thanks in advance.

3-Mountians.jpgMountainX.jpg

2 Replies
Admin

PStrobel said
I was up on Mt Lowe back in October. I need some help ID'ing what mountains can be seen. To the south it looks like Three Fingered Jack, Sisters, & Mt Washington like up for a great picture. Are these indeed these mountains in that order?

To the north - its either Mt Adams or Mt Rainier, I'm not sure. To the right of the mystery mountain is Mt Hood. To the left a is St Helens. Any idea? Rainier or Adams?

Thanks in advance.  

There is an app and a website that I find very useful when answering questions like this.  Sometimes peaks are far enough away it is hard to orient a map and definitively determine what peak they are.

Peakfinder is an app that allows you to line up your phone and overlay an image from the camera to see what peaks are.  It also has a website which is useful for research at home.  You put in a coordinate and you can rotate around to see what peaks are visible.  Here is a link from the top of Mt Lowe looking basically south:

https://www.peakfinder.org/?lat=44.9569&lng=-121.9735&azi=172&zoom=7&ele=5000

Your assessment appears correct and is what I would have guessed as well:

MtLowePeakfinder.png

The second question is harder, but I would guess Ranier, but I'm not sure.

Topic starter
Eminent Member

This was very helpful. I've never checked out that app. Thank you!