Oak Grove Butte

Notifications
Clear all

Oak Grove Butte

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Took a chilly trip up to Oak Grove Butte this weekend. It was low 50's in town and upper 30's and windy up on the Butte. The road (5710) was in great shape all the way to the turn off for the Butte. The spur road to the butte had snow about half a mile from the top. I packed my drone (non-wilderness area) and trudged up to the top. The trail up is on a fading road. It was also in good condition (except for the snow). The last 50 feet or so requires a push through brush. The view from the top is good. One interesting sight if a Oak-Grove-Butte-1-of-1-2.jpgOak-Grove-Butte-2-of-2-2.jpgOak-Grove-Butte-1-of-1.jpgtree growing up through the forest services responder. 

4 Replies
Admin

That is a cool old lookout location.  Here is a photo of that repeater back in 2012 - that tree has grown quite a bit in 7 years!

So if the journey up to the Oak Grove Butte was in snow why do the drone photos show no snow? Seems strange, in other areas of the district you can't hardly get above 4000' without snow and the butte being around 4500' your report seems suspect! Your picture of the FS repeater with the tree growing up in it also shows a brown cloud layer or smoke from a fire in the gorge or eastern Oregon.

Don

Topic starter
Eminent Member

Great picture of the tree when it was smaller, Rob!

And, Don, that is odd that there was no snow up higher. I believe the road turned to snow around 4200'. But the last few hundred feet were clear. Here's the proof, it isn't pretty, but it's snow! HahaOak-Grove-Snow-a.jpg

That is why I thought it was suspect, for I couldn't see any snow whatsoever in your drone photos. I thought perhaps the photos were from a different outing. I have been to Oak Grove Butte dozens of times in the early spring and you usually had to slog through the snow at least a half a mile or more to reach the top. I have come to the butte as you have in a rig or hiked from down lower on a portion of the old Oak Grove Butte trail that is still out there.

Don