Salmon River Trail ...

Notifications
Clear all

Salmon River Trail on Mother's Day

Topic starter

Sunday on the Salmon River Trail on Mother's Day was awesome. Obviously a busy trail on any weekend, but on Mother's Day you would expect to see more. Their were a lot of hikers, but they were some of the most polite I have seen in sometime. A lot of dogs and some joggers, but I must say everybody was enjoying the sun and the river and the flowers that were everywhere in full bloom.

Trails give us hope in humanity. I can't say that of the Zigzag Ranger Station's Store when I tried to purchase a Barlow District map last Wednesday on my journey to look for morel mushrooms on the eastside of Mt Hood. It must of took the staff 10 minutes to find change for a $20 bill. I'm glad to say they are not FS employees, but those who are subcontracted by the FS, as those who control our campgrounds these days. You get what you pay for!

And by the way that Barlow District map was from the year 2002 as is all of the latest editions of district maps of the Mt Hood National Forest! You would have thinked the FS would have updated their maps since then, but I guess I'm wrong. Basically these maps are forest road maps which haven't changed in the last 20 or 30 years for the most part and aren't trail maps per se for they don't show all current trails or past trails. I think I have drawn more trails on maps then the FS in the last 30 years.

If you want to know about trails, both past and present in the Clackamas River Ranger District of the Mt Hood Nat'l Forest your best spot is this very webpage!

Don

1 Reply

Well said.  I spend a fair amount of time in the Barlow and Hood River district, every year the district maps become more and more irrelevant.  When are they going to update these materials???  Decom roads, inaccessible trails, new trails... it’s all very frustrating for someone that likes to plan out their weekend explorations.