Old Oak Grove Work ...

Notifications
Clear all

Old Oak Grove Work Center

Admin
Topic starter

I saw this posting on Portland Hikers - I'd never heard about these abandoned buildings before.  Interesting stuff.  I wonder why they never burned them down like they did to so many other buildings?

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18628

8 Replies
Admin

So many efforts have been made to get the FS to take care of that Heritage site. For years an effort was made to secure the buildings. I believe they are in violation of some Historic Site preservation mandate but the site apparently lacks the glitter it requires to get any attention.

Now that those fools have posted shots of the interiors, I would be surprised if the site lasts much longer.

The State SHPO have been up there but obviously the meetings have been ineffectual.

I had always hoped some eco group would want to make a center of some kind out of it. 

D 2

Rob Williams said
I saw this posting on Portland Hikers - I'd never heard about these abandoned buildings before.  Interesting stuff.  I wonder why they never burned them down like they did to so many other buildings?

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=18628

Rob,

The short version of the story is in the maps you have. It started out as the Oak Grove Ranger Station, then highway 224 was pushed through and the FS built Ripplebrook and  moved the operation there. Oak Grove RS became the work camp. It would be the start of what we call the MP3 trail if that piece still existed - may be there but I was unable to locate any trace - been logged. Like I said in a reply to forestkeeper's post, those buildings are posted - I don't think it is legal to enter them.

I could be wrong about all this...

--Paul

Admin
Topic starter

FYI, the "fool" that posted it is an official FS volunteer.  He has cleared trails and works a lot out at Olallie.  They have given him use of one of their pickups when he does volunteering for them.

Interesting stuff.  Too bad it hasn't been preserved.  Too bad they didn't offer them up to people to buy/lease or something.   That would be AWESOME - to have a house that far up there!  Kind of like the old trail house, except you wouldn't have to worry about getting kicked out.

Admin

If he cares about the place, outing it with interior pictures, it is suppose to be boarded up to protect the asset, invites interest good and bad. The government clearly has no ability to protect or preserve the site so restraint on his part would have been in order. IMO, smiley face.

D 2

Page 1 / 2